• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Strap - Advice

You can find the same one locally for the same price and save on shipping unless you have a store near you, they are not out here in the NE. Personally I'd go with the 3"x30' or two, use a 2" oak dowel to connect them if you need longer.

RichP said:
You can find the same one locally for the same price and save on shipping unless you have a store near you, they are not out here in the NE. Personally I'd go with the 3"x30' or two, use a 2" oak dowel to connect them if you need longer.

Shipping is free, so that's a good thing

Also, will the 3" fit into my Receiver Shackle? I thought I needed to go with teh 2"

old_man said:
Oak dowel?

Yea, if you use a 2 or 3 inch oak dowel about 8 inches long, loop one end of one tow strap thru the end of another then stick the dowel thru the loop and pull tight. Much easier then trying to get two tied together straps apart once they have been stretched tight. When BMJA has the Jeep 101 courses each jeep that attends gets one.

As for a 2" vs 3" you are better with a 2" insert that has a hole in it and uses a D ring shacle to go thru the insert. Much easier than trying to get the 2" loop into the receiver and then put the pin thru, especially at night. I just use a normal 2" insert minus the ball and put the D ring thru the hole where the ball would go. I just drilled another hole thru the insert so it sits inside the receiver further.

It looks like I got ripped off!

I just bought a 3" 30,000 lbs for $59 plus tax at Pep Boys. So, IMO, yes, that is an excellent deal.

If I recall correctly Pep Boys also had a 15,000 lbs strap for $39. So the other strap is a great deal too.

Also it will be shipped right to you door.

A while back I picked up a 2" 20,000 lb. strap at VIP for $25. I know I could have found one cheaper, but I was to lazy to look around and wanted to have one in my rig for my winter commute to work. I think those are some good prices with free shipping.

I have two 30 foot by 2" straps from Tractor supply...they have held up well. I used one of them 7 times last night at the mud bog...pulled out the same Wrangler twice, 1 XJ, 1 Ranger, a Sami and 2 Yodas. BTW...I use a hook made of 1 1/2 cold roll inserted in the receiver. lot less hassle than a clevis.

If you are going to pull someone else out, and they dont have hard points....let THEM hook up the strap...and a warning that if anything pulls off it's their problem.

I would kind of question a cheap tow strap. It very well could be a fine piece, but is it cheaply made? I would want to look at it before I bought it to check the quality. Last thing I want is a strap comin back at me while I am tugging to get someone out.

Back