• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum canister

Rick VanRossen

NAXJA Forum User
Found new canister, installed and now can only get a/c, heat and air flow thru defroster vents at windshield.
Any idea what's happened. Test drive didn't indicate loss of air upon acceleration but no air flow thru dash vents. Any ideas on how to get this corrected.
TIA.

You missed a vac line, that cannister is all vacumn lines, you either disconnected one when removing the old one or broke a line. We just went thru similar with our YJ, cap came off the cannister and it would idle badly, ran rich and some other stuff. Replaced the cannister from one out of a 85XJ for $25 vs $85 new from dealer, now it's fine. BTW, the defroster only thing is a dead giveaway of a vac problem.

Vac lines

All four lines attached to new cannister. Have searched for crack or leak in lines, nothing visible. Can these lines be replaced from local auto parts store or should I replace with oem lines from dealer.
Understand it must be something I did during replacement of cannister, because I had air flowing thru dash before I put in new.
BTW: 3 lines make four connection to can.
How can I determine which is which without a manual?

Let's back up a step.

WHY did you replace the cannister o begin with?
'Cuz you had some problem.

Let's *assume* the cannister has been properly replaced.
But the problem still remains?
Or is it a new problem?

I'm thinking you're OK down at the cannister, but one of the lines has broken or disconnected at the heater?AC control in the dash, or at one of the vac motors.

OR, and this is common in XJ's, the vac line that goes under the battery to the vacumn resevoir bottle behind the bumper has been eaten thru by battery splooge.
Yes, you can go out to any parts store and buy several feet of the tubing used, snip off some ends so you get the right sizes. Also pick up some new vacumn plastic Y connectors and joiners, they come in a kit with assorted sizes. Usually around where the nuts, bolts and other car hardware is.

vacuum pob.

Original prob. Air flow, thru dash vents, stopped on acceleration or going uphill. cannister had both feet broken and holes, so replaced.
Now, only get air thru dfrost vents, No air thru dash.
Can't see any cracks in lines.
Test drive seemed to cure original prob. So this is a new prob.

Definitely a vac problem, especially if it worked somewhat with the broken cannister and does not work with the new one. You missed something, pulled something out OR the new cannister is bad. I have only had to replace one of those evap cannisters in my life so I guess it's possible.
Now 97+ XJ's have a cable that is behind the environ controls, that can come off, don't know about older ones though.

WAIT A MINUTE, are we talking about the charcol cannister or the vac blimp cannister ???

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I had to remove my bumber and I guess I pulled to hard on the lines because when I put the bumper back on, air only came out the upper dash vents. I found that the vacuum lines right by the battery had come apart. Both ends were connected so it had me sratchin my head untill I found it broken in the middle.

Back