• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub noises?

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok well im gettin a broken cv sound from the front end when im turning and only when im turning. checked the ujoints and there fine, no fluid showing anywhere, everything is tight. im thinking the hubs posibly but this is my first time dealing with auto hubs and im not sure what sounds they make when they crap out. is this what im hearing?...or do i have some shatered up spider gears?

Thanks!
Sean

First of all you should be aware that these are not auto hubs - they're just straight hubs, no disengagement mechanism at all. Earlier (before 92 or so) XJ's with part time 4WD used a vacuum driven shifter in the right hand axle shaft to disengage the differential. Later ones have no disengagement at all.

I think you need to jack up each wheel, and feel for play or noise in the hubs. The bearings should have zero play, and make no noise. Because they're always engaged, they won't spin freely, but should turn smoothly. The hubs are a sealed bearing unit, replaced whole.

You should then turn the steering all the way to lock, and try turning the wheel again. Feel for binding or resistance, which is symptomatic of a binding axle universal joint. Often the joints will go dry, and become very stiff, before they grind themselves down and become loose.

Back