• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Fuel

Remus131

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 XJ that has been sitting for almost 2 years -- I know that some people have gone to jail for less. Anyway, the fuel tank is about 3/4 full and needs to be removed. What would be the best and easiest way to drain the tank? I was just thinking of disconnecting the main fuel line from the fuel rail and letting the pump run until it's dry. Any other suggestions?

Mine had a 3/4 tank and it sat for 2+ years. I didnt want to siphon it, never had luck with that with newer rigs. theres a check vavle that prevents fuel from coming out in a rollover.

I got two bottle of injectr cleaner and ran that. It started hard, but with new gas it runs great.

I had a Toyota that sat for just 6 months when I was in the Navy and it had so much water in it when I got back that I had to drain the tank. Thankfully at that time Toyota had a drain in the bottom of the tank. Why don't they do that anymore?

Well I have attempted to feed a siphon hose down the fuel neck....and keeps getting stuck about 12 inches in. Is there something in the neck that prevents a hose being fed all the way to the tank? My next move is to purchase some 3/8 fuel line and try and feed that down -- a hose that is a little more rigid than the siphon hose I was using......

First - and easiest - get a fuel pressure test gage that will connect to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (the RENIX is a GM-style valve - I don't know about later...) Most fuel pressure test gages have a bypass port on a button - which will allow you to bleed off the system pressure. Jump the relay, push the button, and drain it into a convenient container.

Second - but this should be done about about 2/3-tank or less - pull the access plate for the fuel pump (upper front centre of tank) and syphon it out through there. That will give you a 4" hole to work through. NOTE - if you do this, use a BRASS hammer and a BRASS rod - I don't want to end up reading about a spaceborne XJ...

Alternatively, you can pull the feed line off of the fuel pump at the access plate, and hook your drain hose up to that. Don't let the pump run dry for too long, or it could overheat - then you go buy a new one.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking about adding a "supply" pump and tap, since I end up playing "filling station" for my lawnmower and some other goodies, and I'd like to keep everything simple. Have to work out a safe way and place to do it...

5-90

I like the idea of disconnecting the line from the fuel pump and letting the pump run. I was thinking about that tonight as well. I'll go and get some fuel line from the store in the morning and see what happens. Any ideas on what to do with 10 gallons of crappy gas?

You'll have to provide power to the fuel pump independent of the ECU supply - the ECU will usually turn it off after a few seconds if it doesn't read engine running signals.

As far as getting rid of the fuel - you can try to burn it (if it's not too old and hasn't just been open to the air, it still might burn,) or keep it and use it for parts cleaner, or check to see if you have a county HazMat disposal programme (or ask your local Fire Department, they should know what to do with it.)

5-90

Well I got 1/3 of the fuel from inside the gas tank by inserting a section of 3/8th inch fuel line (it was stiff enough not to get bound up in the neck). Then I slipped my flimsy siphon hose inside the fuel line and got it going that way. I got about 3 gallons when it trickled out..... I know there is about 7 more gallons in there....just have to come up with some other ideas on how to finish draining the tank.

Back