• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pricing on gearing, am i getting hosed?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
well, finally decided to regear my axles, and called few places, i will not mention names, but all of these told me anywhere between 1600 and 2000, to put 4.56 gears into my front 30 and rear 8.25. Thats in canadian funds. Is that normal? i remember i did my 35 on a yj few years back, and paid nowhere that much. Am i getting hosed, or what? how much do you guys pay/paid for something like that?

are they buying the gears and install kit or are you if it is 2k for just installing it i would say your getting riped off but if that is including gears and install kit it is still expensive but not horribly. i may be wrong but i think there are a few shops around that do them here for 500 or around there and a few guys that are x mechanics that do them at home for around 200 per axle (that is if you supply all parts)

thats 4x4 places, that price includes... me dropping of my xj with 3.55s and picking it up with 4.56s, whatever is needed is included in it.

should i go to a mechanic? like a standard shop to do it? or 4x4 place? 4x4 places charge twice as much for labor as regular mechanics around here. But will they know what they are doing:)?

I have been pricing out pieces recently, and all the hardware for me t0 re-gear and add lunchbox lockers is about 1000 front and rear from most any vendor...

so - figure that plus 500 install gets you 1500 USD which is probably close to 2000 Canadian...

Purple said:
well, finally decided to regear my axles, and called few places, i will not mention names, but all of these told me anywhere between 1600 and 2000, to put 4.56 gears into my front 30 and rear 8.25. Thats in canadian funds. Is that normal? i remember i did my 35 on a yj few years back, and paid nowhere that much. Am i getting hosed, or what? how much do you guys pay/paid for something like that?

Ottawa prices are roughly ~$300CDN for an install in labour, add $100 for an ARB, OX, whatever.

Figure ~$150USD for ring gears (~$200CDN if you are lucky)

Add ~$150USD for set up kits (shims, bearngs, etc. :: ~$200CDN)

$700 and axle, add 15% tax.

Labour rates in T.O. are probably higher, and my rate is a rough rule of thumb with the OVO club discount with one of our regularly used, local shops.

I wouldn't say your quote is that far out; they may be being conservative so that there is no screaming at the final bill.

Ask the guys in your club. They'll know the best/cheapest place to get your quote. Ancaster 4x4 in Hamilton had a good reputation but I think Tony closed up shop a few years ago - at least that is what I heard. Try National4x4 in Burlington (we recently did a group buy on Truxus MTs through them - good price at $170 a corner for my tires: 265/75R16), also ask over on jeepkings.ca.

HTH

r@m

Purple said:
should i go to a mechanic? like a standard shop to do it? or 4x4 place? 4x4 places charge twice as much for labor as regular mechanics around here. But will they know what they are doing:)?

find a race shop

they set up gears in cars...

either that or ask your mechanic what he does, where he outsources too...

the sho i work in wont set up gears, because we dont have the mechanics to do it, and on EVERYTHING that leaves the shop there is a 12 month 12000 mile waranty, and we dont want in-expierence bringing back $1,200 jobs...

Purple said:
thats 4x4 places, that price includes... me dropping of my xj with 3.55s and picking it up with 4.56s, whatever is needed is included in it.

The prices I quoted above are dropping off an empty axle housing...that'll easily save you a wad of cash if you can swing it.

Buy some old axles, easiest way to go IMO. I bought a HP 30 for the fron of my MY01 (LP 30 stock) and a Scout 44 for the rear to replace the Chryco8.25.

Next week's (or so) project is sand blasting, paint and getting the axles off to be done. Got the parts/gears already.

HTH

r@m

well, i did not have a good experience with National. Actually they are the highest priced ones. Also before ......i called them about shocks, they said they have these, my friend on the way home went there, they couldn;t find them, i ended up with two superlifts and two skyjackers- and some of these pins (2) missing, he waited there for an hour and 10 mins, LEE made a misteake. Sent my other friend there, they sold him wrong shocks, went there second time, got 4 replacemets, and one of them was fu***d, got that one replaced, recently he ripped one off and bent it, went there with a part number from that bent shock, they said that this is no longer in stock, and that a different number is available, got it, it was too short. Called and spoke to WES or Les or whatever his name is, ordered 4" RE Leafs, got these, came home installed them, called him about something, he said these were 3.5s not 4", one of them sagged about an inch, he said before that they were pre-sagged. Got my TCase rebuild by Ryan there, when installed and correctly setup the linkage made a grinding noise-never worked properly in 4x4-sold the jeep. Ordered axle seals for amc 20 for my GFs Cj, got wrong seals. I just can't deal with these people. To me they are a bunch of hicks and morons. Same for Just Jeeps. Once i almost got killed after they installed my Lift on a YJ, almost sued them. Most informative-helpful was Jeep Thrills when spoke to them about gears, also their price was OK.

Last edited:
Purple said:
well, i did not have a good experience with National. Actually they are the highest priced ones. Also before ......i called them about shocks, they said they have these, my friend on the way home went there, they couldn;t find them, i ended up with two superlifts and two skyjackers- and some of these pins (2) missing, he waited there for an hour and 10 mins, LEE made a misteake. Sent my other friend there, they sold him wrong shocks, went there second time, got 4 replacemets, and one of them was fu***d, got that one replaced, recently he ripped one off and bent it, went there with a part number from that bent shock, they said that this is no longer in stock, and that a different number is available, got it, it was too short. Called and spoke to WES or Les or whatever his name is, ordered 4" RE Leafs, got these, came home installed them, called him about something, he said these were 3.5s not 4", one of them sagged about an inch, he said before that they were pre-sagged. Got my TCase rebuild by Ryan there, when installed and correctly setup the linkage made a grinding noise-never worked properly in 4x4-sold the jeep. Ordered axle seals for amc 20 for my GFs Cj, got wrong seals. I just can't deal with these people. To me they are a bunch of hicks and morons.

I can't speak to that, all I know is that we've gotten pretty good prices on tires and such in group buys. Being 5 hours away I'd never consider them for an install or anything that is not a 100% easy bolt on.

The tough stuff I research the hell out of myself and import myself through Ogdensburg, NY. That way there's no one to blame but me. :)

Ask around at Jeepkings. They may give you a couple of shops to try for a quote. Ask the guys in your club if you haven't already.

r@m

i will, thanks:)

Back