• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life expectancy of OME shocks

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I've just got a line on some used OME 2" lift shocks that I'm thinking of fitting onto my car. They've done about 25,000 miles and I was wondering what experiences people have had regarding the life expectancy of these shocks?

I've not lifted my jeep yet, but since I'd only be doing a BB, I like the thought of sticking them under for the improved ride now, and being able to lift in due course - hell, I'd be getting them for nothing, so are there any good reasons for me not to take them?!

OME gives a 2 year warranty with them with no mileage restriction if that helps any.

How old are they?

Assuming the warranty transfers to a different owner.

I have found thru experience that shocks last an average of about 60-70,000 mi and then go. Thats here in the NE where there are alot of pot holes and winter frost heaves that turn into pot holes/dips. In warmer climes where temps are not so severe they will probably last longer, but then maybe not, heat might destroy them too, the seals anyway. Thats my experience anyway.

RichP said:
I have found thru experience that shocks last an average of about 60-70,000 mi and then go. Thats here in the NE where there are alot of pot holes and winter frost heaves that turn into pot holes/dips. In warmer climes where temps are not so severe they will probably last longer, but then maybe not, heat might destroy them too, the seals anyway. Thats my experience anyway.

Good points Richard. There are lots of variables, but with 25K miles they should be o.k. for awhile and if you can get then cheap, then why not run them? OME is the plushest susp you can get, just they don't come in big lift heights, otherwise probably more people would get them. For a dd, the ride of OME is hard to beat.

Back