• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Misses

KennyH-96XJ-87MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ Sport 4wd with 170,000 miles on the original 4.0 liter and automatic. After the vehicle has been driven for an hour to hour and a half, the engine starts missing. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, fuel filter, catalytic converter, coil, spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap. It seems to do it worse around 35 mph and 65 mph and up if this makes any difference. The check engine light never comes on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have pretty much the same issue, but only at freeway speed. It's a very slight stumble. It's barely discernible, but I can definitely feel it.

I had a couple of people say that it would be a fuel-related problem. So I also swapped out the fuel filter, hoping that would be it. This weekend, I'll give the TB a good cleaning.

I was also thinking a clogged or faulty fuel injector. (?)

KennyH : I have the same problem and have replaced the same things as you, i brought to the attention of my mechanic that i thought it could be my fuel pump(which is loud and quiet sometimes) and he said the symptoms would not be the same. The miss is unlikely to be the fuel pump im told, i just figured i would mention it to see if you got your fuel pressure tested and what it was at?.

I'm reviving a crazy old, thread...lol

92 xj...all stock.

new to me

replaced so far for basic tune-up

-fuel filter
-plugs
-wires
-rotor
-cap
-serp belt
-radiator
-new rad fluid

My rig has done the same as above. Once @ 35, once @ 65...both times the rig stumbled when the throttle was being neutrally applied. Basically, just cruising, maintaining my speed.

Very discernable stumble, feels like when you go around a turn on empty and the fuel pickup gets uncovered, and your engine sputters. This is just for an instant, though.

No other issues, as far as I can tell.

try the fuel pump.... worked for this guy and you don't seem to be afraid to throw parts at it so it's worth a try....

try the fuel pump.... worked for this guy and you don't seem to be afraid to throw parts at it so it's worth a try....

lol. these were all just tune-up items in the last month after buying it from the previous owner...just to get a baseline...

I'll likely run it a bit more to see if I can duplicate the symptom, but I might just Replace the fuel pump anyways, to keep the current one as a spare...:chef:

X2 on the fuel pump. thats what i had to do on mine. get a bosch pump though. DO NOT get an airtex pump.

also check to see if your tank is dirty as well.

1. Rent/beg/borrow fuel gauge.

2. Test fuel pressure--if bad replace filter and pump, if good go to 3.

3. Beg/borrow duct tape.

4. Duct tape gauge to windshield, face of gauge towards driver.

5. Drive vehicle and try to replicate symptoms, note fuel pressure if symptoms present.

Back