• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailgate question

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having an interesting issue on my 1988 XJ that I want to solve, but I'd rather know the appropiate way of approaching it before I take all the tailgate apart. :D

When I close the tailgate, it still seems a little bit open, let's say more separated than it should be; it also rattles a little bit. The rattling can be solved by adjusting the bushings (I don't know how you call them, I mean the rubber knobs that can be turned), but this still doesn't get the tailgate properly closed. It should be some of the hardware, and normally I have found adjusting screws in cars trunks, but haven't been successful here.

Anyone had this problem before?

BTW, I messed up, it should be in the OEM forum... :(

If you look at the center bottom of the opening with the liftgate up, you'll see the post (or stud) that the latch clamps onto. It's held in there with three or four recessed Phillips-head screws. You can loosen those screws and get a slight amount of adjustment out of the post.

Be careful -- don't loosen the screws very much or they'll come out. If they all come out, you'll lose the backing plate they screw into and that's not a happy experience. Don't ask me how I know.

I don't know if this helps. Mine don't leak or rattle, the gap top to bottom is 3/8 inch between hatch and body.
Just a thought though, there is a half catch could it be it's not closed all the way?

Back