• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee with factory Locker???

incognitus77

NAXJA Forum User
I stubled across this on the internet:

dana 35 complete rear end out of an 87' cherokee laredo. has factory tru-trac locker, and unit is in excellant working cond.i'm parting out this jeep if any more parts are needed you can email me.

Is this possible? Would I be able to verify via part #'s? would I be able to upgrade to 4.11 gears with this "factory" Locker?

thanks

First, a TrueTRac is a limited slip, not a locker.

Second, the factory did not offer the TrueTrac. The factory offered the Dana Trac-Lok as the optional limited slip (again, not a locker).

The Dana 35 has a carrier break -- gears with low numbers use one carrier, gears with high numbers use a different carrier. I don't recall if the break is between 3.07 and 3.55, or between 3.55 and 3.73.

If it's a Laredo it probably has an automatic and 3.55 gears, with Trac-Lok. From an '87 the Trac-Lok is probably pretty well worn out anyway, so you'd have to either rebuild it or replace it even if it is the right carrier for 4.10 gears.

I think you should keep looking for a Dana 44.

speaking of D44 rear end. If a guy could get ahold of "several" D44 xj rear ends for little or no money, with teh understanding that they all have spun bearings.....would it be worth the hassle?

D44 in '87's

D44 came in '87's if it was ordered with the towing package. Otherwise it was the D35. But then most people here probably know this already.:D

Back