• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high should the front be in relation to the back?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Another crazy question I have been wanting to ask, but haven't yet. When I lifted my 97, the front has more of a hot rod stance and I knew I needed to lift up the front with spacers or different coils, but my question is how do you determine where the front should be? Should the Jeep be exactly parallel from front to back, should it have a slight downslope up front?

I have put it on level ground and I measured from the rain gutter above the driver's door to the ground and from the rain gutter at the very back to the ground and came up with about a 2" difference. Now I have 3.5" re coils up front with a custom heavy bumper and the back sits higher, so should I put in a 2" spacer or get different coils? If I need to get different coils, should I get 3.5zj's or 4.5 zj's? or something different?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

How new is the lift? What brand is it? AAL (short-long), blocks, or full-leaf packs?

We need more info....

Measure from the center of the flare straight down to the center of the hub. This is the univeral way to measure lift, at least on jeeps.

Stock is 17.5 front, 17 rear.

I like the 'level look' on my 4x4's. My xj sits at 22 f, 21 r versus 17.5 f, 17 r factory, and is just alittle rear high when measured at the rockers.

I dont think there is a 'right' answer to it. But I think it should be close to level with what YOUR average load is in it. I dont carry much day to day, so I leveled it up with it pretty much empty.

ever think of removing that shackle, or will it sit too low?? The zj coils have a slightly higher rate IIRC, so they will support more weight. Spacers should work fine if your coils seem up to the weight, otherwise they will sag quicker than a zj spring.

I like mine to look level or just a little bit high in the rear end. Mine as it sits is a bit high in the rear empty, and just right when loaded down with my trail gear and spare and stuff. It's a personal preference really, but I've never met a person who said an XJ looks "good" with the rear sagging down... :)

If you carry a lot of stuff in the back on a regular basis, you should have the back a bit higher then the front. That way it sits level when you have it loaded.

Starboard M said:
If you carry a lot of stuff in the back on a regular basis, you should have the back a bit higher then the front. That way it sits level when you have it loaded.
thats how i like it. search for the "dirty method" to learn how to measure after you have cut the flares

Back