• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me understand angle, driveshaft, and T-case drop thing

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I lifted my 97 XJ 4.5". I have shims in the back but how do I know if I need a t-case drop or new driveshaft or both?

I have a hack n tap that I haven't installed yet but plan on doing. With the lift kit I bought from a guy, it came with a Tom Woods driveshaft that is too long for my application, but I could have cut down, welded and rebalanced, but again the question is how do I find out exactly what length the shaft needs to be, etc. I will get a picture of the driveshaft I bought and post it, but until then I need some help from you guys understanding this whole driveshaft, angle thing.

Thanks,

Chris

don't mean to state the obvious....but you do know that the Tom Woods shaft is supposed to be longer than your stock one? Once you install the RE H&T SYE it should fit, it might be fully compressed though.

Are you getting any vibes? even if you aren't you should definitely install the SYE. Don't bother with the t-case drop, your SYE and shims should be the solution. also, what degree shims are you running? 2, 4, or 6?

Good question on the shims, not one hundred percent sure but I have attached a picture of the shims after they were put in.

The only I saw the Woods drive shaft is too long is that we held it up after the lift was installed and at full compressed it wouldn't fit. I have attached a pic of that also, but I will get a better pic.

Shims.JPG

ShimsandLeafs.JPG

Driveshaft.JPG

Thank and any help is appreciated, learning this stuff everyday more and more.

Chris

What Bert said is true...that TW sahft won't fit now b/c you don't have the SYE installed. When I installed my lift, I had tons of similar questions. I found this to be extremely helpful. HTH.

go onto that site, and read:) and you will know:) its all there :)

I'd type up something for you but I wouldn't be able to get it nearly as accurate/precise as it already is on the site. Get a cup of coffee, go to tech info (top of the page) and then click on Geometry 101. It's incredibly informative.

hey chris,

didnt see this link posted yet...

give this a shot:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

also - if you are ordering a new shaft - Call the guys at which ever shop you intend to order from and ask them how you should measure length - each shop is a little different...

and i know that some shops will be able to tell you if the DS you have will work based on meausrements they will ask you to take...

good luck...

Back