• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer removal

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
Any tips on removing the balancer while the engine is in place? It looks like a real tight fit for a puller. How did anyone else do it?

onetallmj said:
Any tips on removing the balancer while the engine is in place? It looks like a real tight fit for a puller. How did anyone else do it?
On my 97 I had to replace the seal underneath and it wasn't too bad.
1. remove the front bumper
2. get a puller
3. use the winch mount holes in the front crossmember to get to the puller
4. pull it off.

Its really not a hard replacement. Do a search on harmonic balancer, or enginer damper, engine pulley; all synonomous terms. PM me if you want clarification, or there are plenty of people who know more then I.

Amazingly, I didn't need to remove the bumper when I did mine. I think I may have even used the inside of the bumper as some sort of leverage/anchor for a large wrench. Can't remember.

I removed the radiator for a better view of the area.

Do make sure you rent a DECENT puller/installer set. Makes all the difference.

XJade said:
Amazingly, I didn't need to remove the bumper when I did mine. I think I may have even used the inside of the bumper as some sort of leverage/anchor for a large wrench. Can't remember.

I removed the radiator for a better view of the area.
Given the choice, bumper is easier :D :D

Kejtar said:
Given the choice, bumper is easier :D :D

That is true. I seem to remember saying to myself: I wish this blessed bumper wasn't in the way! The Jeep gods were merciful that day.

Couple of right bolts and a drilled piece of angle iron will serve as a fine puller. No clearance problems with anything else either.

Back