• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 ZJ 4.0 into a 91 XJ?

Chris S

NAXJA Forum User
Blew my engine last weekend so I need a new one. Best deal I can find is one from a 95 ZJ.

How compatible are they? Just plug it in, swap the intake? what's the story?

thanks in advance.

Everything should be the same engine wise. As far as I know all 91-95 4.0ls are the same. A '96 engine would work too and its a stronger engine internally too. '97+ would work but require a little modification.

All the sensors should be the same, im pretty sure its the same intake manifold, although the do use a different air intake. Not sure about the exhaust manifold. If you want to use it as a long block, I'm positive it will work like that.

use it as a long block and you'll be good.

Head and bottom end, and the exhaust manifold and intake. Throttle body sensors will be different so you'd have to swap that.

swap over everything else, do the oil pan and rear main while your there...

ENJOY !

red91inWA said:
use it as a long block and you'll be good.

Head and bottom end, and the exhaust manifold and intake. Throttle body sensors will be different so you'd have to swap that.

swap over everything else, do the oil pan and rear main while your there...

ENJOY !

So swap the entire throttle body then?

Chris S said:
So swap the entire throttle body then?

not from the ZJ. You need to use your own. The throttle body WITHOUT the sensors is the same. The wiring connectors changes past 93 I believe. I always carry a spare TPS with me since I can get them at work. I noticed once...the later ones are different style pin connectors.

USE YOURS.

Back