• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pros and cons of V8 swap

ross

NAXJA Forum User
ok in the next few weeks i am going to buy an engine for the motor swap into my jeep. i have been contemplating the idea of a 4.0 or a 350. i think i have decided to go with the 350 but wanted some advice from people with a bit of experience on this subject. i will be buying the motor, trans, and t-case all off the donor vehicle. am i making a big mistake here.....

i would also help to know that it will see limited if any street use so reliability isnt an issue at all

ross said:
i would also help to know that it will see limited if any street use so reliability isnt an issue at all

:huh:

As far as I know AAA won't come to tow your junk off a trail.

There's a lot more to the v-8 swap than just the motor, trans, and transfer case. Have you planned out for wiring, induction (EFI or carb), exhaust, motor mounts, cooling, upgraded driveline, and all of the other nickel and dime crap that will triple your budget? Not trying to dissuade you from the swap but there's a lot of sh*t involved with it and you just have to make sure you're ready for it.

That being said, go for it. Try searching past threads. V-8 swaps have been covered several times before.

There is also a lot of info on pairate about this stuff, but make sure you use the search function on it. Also if I was to even think about this swap, I would figure on at least spending 7-10 thousand to do it right, and that is if you do most of the work yourself, and run across good deals.

Patrick

ross said:
ok in the next few weeks i am going to buy an engine for the motor swap into my jeep. i have been contemplating the idea of a 4.0 or a 350. i think i have decided to go with the 350 but wanted some advice from people with a bit of experience on this subject. i will be buying the motor, trans, and t-case all off the donor vehicle. am i making a big mistake here.....

What is the reason for the swap? Are you lacking power or just want to do something different? I contiplated doing the big swap but the cost was to much. I run a 2.5 four cylinder and plan on just building it up the way I like. Why not stay with the 4.0 and build a stroker out of it if you want more power? That is the route I would take. Alot less money than the V8 swap but don't get me wrong, building a stroker hits the wallet hard but not as hard as the V8 swap.

Kim.

MJ_Chubs said:
There's a lot more to the v-8 swap than just the motor, trans, and transfer case. Have you planned out for wiring, induction (EFI or carb), exhaust, motor mounts, cooling, upgraded driveline, and all of the other nickel and dime crap that will triple your budget? Not trying to dissuade you from the swap but there's a lot of sh*t involved with it and you just have to make sure you're ready for it.

That being said, go for it. Try searching past threads. V-8 swaps have been covered several times before.

yes i have covered most of this. rear end will be an 8.8 with 31 spline output shafts, with the front having a locker and 31 splines also. i have a mig and a tig at my house so i can fab up exhaust no problem. any fullsize truck radiator will work but i will make the mounts also out of steel plate. wiring wont run me too much if any at all becuase it will be carb'd (taking out a lot of wiring pains in the ass). the front serpentine accessories will be cut to a minimum without air conditioning, only things like power steering, brakes, and any other vitally important things. even though i dont have a whole lot of experience building cars, i can tell you that you will save a LOT of money if you can make stuff on your own besides having to rely on companys for the small crap that will break the budget eventually

85xjwoody said:
What is the reason for the swap? Are you lacking power or just want to do something different? I contiplated doing the big swap but the cost was to much. I run a 2.5 four cylinder and plan on just building it up the way I like. Why not stay with the 4.0 and build a stroker out of it if you want more power? That is the route I would take. Alot less money than the V8 swap but don't get me wrong, building a stroker hits the wallet hard but not as hard as the V8 swap.

Kim.

because with a 4.0 stroker i would have to do a 4.0 swap ;). and if you think a 4.x stroker is easier on the wallet you havent done your homework

ross said:
because with a 4.0 stroker i would have to do a 4.0 swap ;). and if you think a 4.x stroker is easier on the wallet you havent done your homework

well a 4.0 stroker say to 4.6-4.7 ish is definately easier on your wallet. I mean unless your personal time is free, or have the hook up on a buddy with lots of free time. My time is $45-$55 per hour on my job. If i can can a 4.0 block machined all my parts and rebuild it and swap it in X amount of time and the V8 swap takes two or three days more thats $1,500 right there easy.
So much of the 4.0 swap will be just plug and play i dont see why you would bother

A skilled fab guy would be more. Are you factoring all the little custom crap you are going to have to make, all the hours measuring moving stuff three times and it still not right. Cooling issues. Unless you are getting crazy i just dont know why a 275 hp stroker wont work for you.

If you can get the 350CI Chevy complete drive train; why would you ever want the unspectacular 4.0L? The Chevy motor should fit in the XJ engine bay easily. You will have to work out trany and T-case placement though. Check with Advance Adapters. They can give you lots of info.

Cooling will be your biggest issue....and...what makes you think a regular truck radiator will work? Have you ever looked at the size of an XJ radiator? The grill is too wide and too short for good cooling.

IF you are going to do this spend the money on a custom aluminum radiator that fits in the opening you have. A regular truck radiator will hang down as much below the grille as above it.

You can always tell the guys who have never done an engine swap or are not being honest about what it is going to cost.

They are the ones that think they can do it for a couple hundred bucks.

Ross, if you do this swap, do it because you want it (V8) not becuase you think it will be cheap. It won't be cheap, but feel free to prove me wrong if you want - make sure you document the hell out of it for the rest of us.

Frame of reference thing: when some people talk about engine swaps some mean an install that looks like it came from the factory that way, others mean booger welding on a few brackets and letting the engine stick through the hood. I'm a factory look kind of guy and I know that ain't cheap. The booger weld setup usually ends up being false economy.

Best of luck.

r@m

Last edited:
youre really going to swap in a carb'd motor?

ross said:

I have done my homework on this, that is why I ask why not go with the stroker. Switching to the V8 is going to be more than a small headache. To much wiring, cooling system, motormounts, new driveline, new crossmember, axles, driveshafts, and the list just keeps going. These are some things that you would not have to do with a stroker but these are things that you will have to do for the V8 swap. I know a guy who took an 85 wagoneer and put a 350 in it. He used the driveline out of a 4.3 blazer for the engine swap. He constantly has problems with it overheating, breaking motor mounts, computer problems, and many more. He said that if he could do it over he would of never done it. Too many headaches and it is not worth it. He has been working on this for over two years and still doesn't have it right. He is a skilled mechanic with all the nessesary tools and fab. hardware. Good luck with your swap.

Kim.

I can tell you from experience that it is no picnic. I have done several of them and had even worked with AA to fix several problems with the original kit. I always try to talk customers out of it. It is very expensive and you are constantly working against the tide. Cooling is a major issue you can’t get enough surface area on a radiator to cool the motor. It will get hot and run hot. Exhaust is another component that gets in the way of everything. There is so much to do and no room to do it with. I would say go with the stroker or rebuild a 4.0 I could go on with several more things that will have to be done. But hopefully you get the point. It is a time consuming and expensive project.

Good luck

Like the saying goes .........
If You Want More Inches ....
STROKE IT !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross
it will see limited if any street use so reliability isnt an issue at all

What, you like to wheel from the recieving end of a strap or what?
confuse17.gif

(reminder to self : DONT wheel with this guy)

Last edited:
ross said:
im talking reliability as in driving it everyday for road use, it will just be used a couple of hours a week. and the motor that is in there (broken crank) was carb'd in the first place. i was looking for real advice not people trying to dog me for a solution to a problem i thought of
9 posts....and you are looking for real advice? Do you have any idea who half of the people are who are giving you advice now? These are people who have either done what you want or have seriously looked into it and decided against it for REAL reasons.

Trust me....in one page of this thread you have gotten more REAL advice then you will get anywhere else in 20 pages or a lifetime of experince.

If you don't like what you hear then by all means....do what you want.
No one was dogging you for anything....Just trying to give you what you wanted REAL GOOD ADVISE!

ross said:

cool. I charge $50.00/hr for a pair of hands. Since reliability isn't the issue...I should have this done in about 2.5 weeks.

ross said:
and if you think a 4.x stroker is easier on the wallet you havent done your homework

Yeah...your right...this guy is full of crap. I bet you, a 4.5 stroker can be had for $750.00 you do it yourself, following this guys directions.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/assembly.cfm

Back