• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Trailer Hitch

Fatalfunnel

NAXJA Forum User
Okay...I've searched and searched and I can't find the answer. Everyone says to buy the T-Connector Wiring Adapter and just plug it in. Why? Why can't you just splice into the individual wires for each of the circuits? What function does the "magic box" on the T-connector serve. O yeah, I've got a 97 Country without the towing package.

You have to figure out what wires to splice, spend the time to do it and the universal kit costs like $10. The T connector is just plug and play, can be installed in 5 minutes or less and I believe costs like $10-$15 more. You save a lot more time and you don't really have to figure anything out.

Plus you don't have to worry about inferior splices or making permanent modifications to your factory harness.

That's not to say splicing in won't work just as effectively. It's really a personal choice as to how "clean" you want the installation to be.

Fatalfunnel said:
Okay...I've searched and searched and I can't find the answer. Everyone says to buy the T-Connector Wiring Adapter and just plug it in. Why? Why can't you just splice into the individual wires for each of the circuits? What function does the "magic box" on the T-connector serve. O yeah, I've got a 97 Country without the towing package.

Plus, since the jeep has seperate blinkers from brake lights, you don't have to mess with the extra splicing, or getting a control box to split the signal to the trailer. Took me about 15 minutes to plug in the harness, that included removing and replacing the spare tire inside. Some harnesses also included a "blinker booster"(for lack of the right words). In older trucks, you used to replace the 552 blinker with a heavy duty for use with towing, the better harness' have this built in, since you cannot replace the factory Jeep one. Hope this makes sense....

Kevin

EMTJeepers said:
Plus, since the jeep has seperate blinkers from brake lights, you don't have to mess with the extra splicing, or getting a control box to split the signal to the trailer. Took me about 15 minutes to plug in the harness, that included removing and replacing the spare tire inside. Some harnesses also included a "blinker booster"(for lack of the right words). In older trucks, you used to replace the 552 blinker with a heavy duty for use with towing, the better harness' have this built in, since you cannot replace the factory Jeep one. Hope this makes sense....

Kevin

That's the biggest reason, the turn signals and brake/tail lights are separate circuits, if you just tie everything together strange things will happen.

If you have a newer trailer that has separate brake/tail, turn signals then you don’t need the black box.

langer1 said:
If you have a newer trailer that has separate brake/tail, turn signals then you don’t need the black box.
True. But if you have a new trailer with separate turn signal lamps, you will need a 6-wire or 7-wire connector, not a standard 4-wire flat connector.

You can't just splice into a vehicle that has separate turn signal lamps to connect a 4-wire trailer plug. As noted, strange things will happen, and you may not enjoy them. You need an adapter with a built-in logic circuit.

Or just add a second set of lights on the trailer for the turn signals.

I had a shop in NH install a hitch several years ago.
It took them half a day to install the hitch, and two days to fix the wiring job that they screwed up. :p
Eagle is right about "strange things" happening. Jeesh.

Eagle said:
True. But if you have a new trailer with separate turn signal lamps, you will need a 6-wire or 7-wire connector, not a standard 4-wire flat connector.

You can't just splice into a vehicle that has separate turn signal lamps to connect a 4-wire trailer plug. As noted, strange things will happen, and you may not enjoy them. You need an adapter with a built-in logic circuit.

Or just add a second set of lights on the trailer for the turn signals.

I installed both the 4 wire and 7 wire plugins.. I have no problems using either one. The 7 wire I got from the stealership, and the four wire from the autoparts stores... They plug in the same place and are inline with each other. Much easier than fighting the splicing.. Had to do that with my 85 bronco, and nothing but problems.

so if i understand things... the T-Connector attaches behind the spare tire panel between a male/female connection? is that on all models (2001 is my concern if i'm going to try this)?

currently i'm spliced but that system isn't working now, was but not now... hopefully a T-Con will fix it...

thanks
stace

rokclimbertx said:
so if i understand things... the T-Connector attaches behind the spare tire panel between a male/female connection? is that on all models (2001 is my concern if i'm going to try this)?

currently i'm spliced but that system isn't working now, was but not now... hopefully a T-Con will fix it...

thanks
stace
The tee connector will be listed by year model, and yes you have a connector behind you spare tire.
The tee connector for your cherokee will also have the black box.
I keep mine rolled up and stuffed behind the spare when not in use.

langer1 said:

I have yet to see that on a trailer. How many pins is the connector? The standard 7-pin round plug is left turn/stop, right turn/stop, running lights, ground, battery +, reverse lights, and brake.

Back