• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which UJ went bang?

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
Whilst maneouvering a pretty heavy trailer last night on a loose surface, I had to go into 4 Hi to get around a hairpin. On gunning the engine to pull away, on full lock, there was a nasty bang. I'm thinking it was a front driveshaft UJ - probably the last UJ forward of the gearbox that's not yet been changed, but I'd like to hear of others' experiences/ ideas as to what it could be. I replaced the axle half shaft UJs about 10,000 miles ago, and the front-front driveshaft UJ soon after. I've also had a consistent ticking noise quietly annoying me for bloody ages, which I've not been able to track down, which I assume is related.

TIA

have you checked the u-joints?

Try the front ujoint at the driver's side wheel. If it is a D30 that is the most common, but you never can tell.

old_man said:
Try the front ujoint at the driver's side wheel. If it is a D30 that is the most common, but you never can tell.

agreed. BUT if your unsure....take it around the block. As you turn to the left, the right u-joint SHOULD have more tension on it than the left.

When you turn to the right. Visa-versa. Oposite side from where your turning is the place to look.

But the first to go for me was the DS front.

Get under the jeep and look at the u joints?

Chancer said:
I'm thinking it was a ... UJ
XJ_ranger said:
have you checked the u-joints?
ipkyss said:
Get under the jeep and look at the u joints?
etc etc

Well, I'm glad we're all agreed on that. Since it happened at 11pm on Sunday night and it was dark, I've not yet checked, but just wanted to be sure that that's what people thought. I was just a little surprised since they've pretty much all been recently renewed, and suspected it might have been a driveshaft one, rather than one on the axle.

Chancer said:
etc etc

Well, I'm glad we're all agreed on that. Since it happened at 11pm on Sunday night and it was dark, I've not yet checked, but just wanted to be sure that that's what people thought. I was just a little surprised since they've pretty much all been recently renewed, and suspected it might have been a driveshaft one, rather than one on the axle. probably the last UJ forward of the gearbox that's not yet been changed

If that one broke your front driveshaft would be laying on the ground, also that's the best way I know of to bust your tcase. If that comes down on the highway it takes the botton of the tcase with it.

Back