• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I identify a Dana 44 rear diff?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 96 Sport, which I think is equipped with a Dana 44 rear. The axle tubes have a larger diameter than on my 89, and the bottom of the diff is 'squared' off, rather than being round like the 89. I searched for a tag on the diff, with no luck.

The firewall tag would probably tell me, but I don't know how to decode it...?
Thanks for any help on this,
ROE

Thanks for the replies, guys. OldMan, I didn't see anything in the axle guide that looked like it, but my Chilton's shows two possible rear axles for the 96, a D35 and D44. It dosen't mention the corporate 8.25.......?

My 89 diff is a D35, and the 96 has a larger housing and the axle tubes are considerably larger. It also has the larger drums on the rear. All this is what lead me to believe it's a D44. It also has a larger front sway bar, maybe part of a towing package? And the suspension is much stiffer than on my 89.

I don't think the diff has been changed. It's a low mileage one owner, owned by an older gentleman that apparently took good care of it, by the way it looks.

Chilton is very vague on lots of stuff such as axles etc. It is most certainly an 8.25. Seach the forum and you'll see a bunch of other writeups and links to axle guide picks

You guys are right.

OK, according to Casm's pictures, it's indeed an 8.25. You all were right. :)

I still suspect it may have the towing package, because of the stiff suspension and larger diameter sway bar.

So, the 8.25 is a heavier duty diff than the D35? It must be, because it certainly looks bigger, with thicker tubes.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. OldMan, I didn't see anything in the axle guide that looked like it, but my Chilton's shows two possible rear axles for the 96, a D35 and D44. It dosen't mention the corporate 8.25.......?
Chilton's is CRAP. Go to www.techauthority.com and order a new FSM. You can get it in either paper format or on CD so you can just print out the pertinent sections.

I'd hope casm's link looked familiar; after all that is a '96 C8.25 in the picture.

Back