• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Vs. Standard Grease

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I finally upgraded to a bigger grease gun, with the small on there is only one available kind of grease but with the larger one I noticed there was a synthetic grease, is this any better than the standard grease?? Should I be using marine grade grease on any fittings as well???

Thanks
Chris

I think the synthetic grease is better, the conventional seems to seperate into oil in my experiences and the synthetic doesn't easily wash off my hand so by that logic... The synthetic is just a little more money. Applying any grease is better than not doing it by all means. Unless your jeep is immersed in salt water, maring grade is unnecessary.

I've 3 full sized guns, acquired when my son 'borrows' one and takes it to a friends house and fogets to bring it home, had a no nonsense recall of all my tools, now I have dupes of alot of them. All three are loaded with syn, either Mobil-1, Castrol or Drydene syn. I think I actually prefer the castrol or the drydene, the Mobil seems to seperate like normal grease as the mobil gun is the only one that drips when I hang it up so I constantly rotate it on the hanger. I also have a pistol sized one, all I do treat it like a normal gun and just refill it manually with syn grease when it runs out.

I've tried Castrol synthetic and Quaker State synthetic, but settled on Amsoil Water Resistant grease (synthetic). It is the only Amsoil product I use. Their Water Resistant grease has EP additives, and I use it on everything. I didn't like the QS stuff, it tended to ball up and not stick as well.

4xBob said:
I've tried Castrol synthetic and Quaker State synthetic, but settled on Amsoil Water Resistant grease (synthetic). It is the only Amsoil product I use. Their Water Resistant grease has EP additives, and I use it on everything. I didn't like the QS stuff, it tended to ball up and not stick as well.

Par for the course, Qacker state, not in anything I own or allowed on the property....just like fram..

I was a Mobil 1 user till recently. The oil separates one grease job was all I could get out of a tube.
I switched to Valvoline synthetic, doesn't separate and it contains moly.

Back