• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bf goodrich MT's

slacker

NAXJA Forum User
i just put rustys 3in lift on my jeep. i was gettin bad vibes so i dropped the t-case 1 inch using screws and washers and nuts from around the house. this was all with regular size tires (P225 75 15). The drop helped the vibes tremendously. I am planning on getting 31x10.5 MT tires, however i was wondering if these tires could cause the vibes to come back (more specifically the death wobble)???

also would an A/T be better for the vibes as opposed to the M/T?

do i really need any more parts to put these larger tires on (right now i just have the parts from rustys 3in kit on), maybe a stabilizer or something like that or should the OEM parts be fine?

slacker said:
why does it say on rustys site that a steering brace is necessary for 31"+ tires?
Cause you might rip the box away from the frame (or rather bolts through the framerails, or crack the framerails). Anyways the brace I think is a good second step while c-rok kit is the best way to do the first step. You can add a brace to the c-rok setup just to stiffen up right and left framerails in relation to each other, but again there are better ways of stiffening them up.

If you are worried about "vibes" and noise, don't buy MTs. MTs tend to howl on the Hwy and make cool vibrations when you start or stop. Good news it that if you have anyother vibes going on, you won't be able to feel them unless they are real nasty.

31X10.50s will fit stock rims, but you may rub slightly on your lower control arms at full lock. Adjust steering stops, or just be aware of it.

Brace is not needed per se. Some folks have had the frame area around the steering box crack due to metal fatigue. Mostly on units which get much off-road use.

Kejtar said:
Cause you might rip the box away from the frame (or rather bolts through the framerails, or crack the framerails). Anyways the brace I think is a good second step while c-rok kit is the best way to do the first step. You can add a brace to the c-rok setup just to stiffen up right and left framerails in relation to each other, but again there are better ways of stiffening them up.
We must have been typing at same time. Good answer :)

any unbalanced tire would cause vibrations...

Bias Ply tires are known to suck in the vibration department...

MT's are more vibe prone than AT's just becuase of the lugs...

and do something with that ghetto t-case drop...
when i made mine (for the one week that i had it on there) i was worried about it shifting, i cant imagine using washers...
http://www.opiebennett.com/t-casedrop.htm

Back