• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft too short on STOCK MJ

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Ill give you the story of my MJ.

The truck came from the factory with a NP231 and AX-15 combo behing the 4.0, somewhere along the line the AX-15 died, the previous owner decided to swap in a automatic out of a 98 Cherokee. He failed at this task and I bought the truck and put a AX-15/NP231 combo back into it.

When I got the truck, I had 4 driveshafts. Only one fit in the rear, one was obviously way too small (by about 8 inches) and the two rear driveshafts, one fit and the other didnt. No problem.

The rear shaft which I assume is the original (paint is faded with the rest of the undercarrige) seems too short. This is in a BONE STOCK MJ.

Here is a pic of the shaft.

http://www.comanche4x4.com/forumpics/shaft.JPG

That seems to me to be too short, especially for stock, is this how it is supposed to be? If not, what can I do to lengthen the shaft? This a driveshaft shop thing?

summitlt said:
Ok. Ill give you the story of my MJ.

The truck came from the factory with a NP231 and AX-15 combo behing the 4.0, somewhere along the line the AX-15 died, the previous owner decided to swap in a automatic out of a 98 Cherokee. He failed at this task and I bought the truck and put a AX-15/NP231 combo back into it.

When I got the truck, I had 4 driveshafts. Only one fit in the rear, one was obviously way too small (by about 8 inches) and the two rear driveshafts, one fit and the other didnt. No problem.

The rear shaft which I assume is the original (paint is faded with the rest of the undercarrige) seems too short. This is in a BONE STOCK MJ.

Here is a pic of the shaft.

http://www.comanche4x4.com/forumpics/shaft.JPG

That seems to me to be too short, especially for stock, is this how it is supposed to be? If not, what can I do to lengthen the shaft? This a driveshaft shop thing?

shortbed or longbed? wht rear axle? what year? what year of ax15 231 wias swapped in?

my mj with ax5 231 dana 44 has a ds length of 42 1/4" from center of ujoint to center of ujoint. with a dana 35 rear it shoud be about 1" longer. my truck is a short bed

Definately too short.

xjnation said:
shortbed or longbed? wht rear axle? what year? what year of ax15 231 wias swapped in?

my mj with ax5 231 dana 44 has a ds length of 42 1/4" from center of ujoint to center of ujoint. with a dana 35 rear it shoud be about 1" longer. my truck is a short bed

Drivetrain from 92 XJ. d35 rear, AX-15 and NP231.

If I remember it right, the aw4 is a bit longer than the ax-15 so maybe that's the shaft he bought to swap in? Just a guess. When I had my 2wd shaft shortened for the new 4wd drivetrain, I was told that shortening a shaft should be easier than lengthening, but that might depend on the shop you take it too. Maybe car-part.com can locate the right shaft for you.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back