• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing U-Joint At Pumpkin

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Let me see if I am missing anything...
mark where the location of the drivshaft is
remove the 4 bolts on the ujoint straps
drop and remove the driveshaft
replace u-joint using rented press (completly grease everything correct??)
put drivshaft back into t-case
line up markings
put the u-joint straps back on and screw in bolts (use locktight)

Am I missing anything???

Also does anyone know aprox. how long this takes???

Thanks
Chris

Other than recommending that you replace all the u-joints on the shaft at the same time if this is a wear issue, I can't think of one. Ball joint presses from Harbor Freight are cheap and very handy to have. You'll find uses for it as you go...

Autozone has a similar press in their tool loaner program. The HF or similar unit sure makes ball joints a lot easier.

Have a plan to deal with the oil, thats probably coming out of the transfer case, when you pull the shaft. Won´t be a lot, but a small bucket and a rag might come in handy.
I always put a coat of light Loc Tite on the bolt threads. I usually use 243, but read the label, it comes in grades from mild, through middle, to forever.
I´ve heard of a bunch of people loosing strap bolts, either from them falling out, to snapping because they were overtorqued or flawed.

If nothing else, USE NEW STRAP BOLTS! There's a lot of shear stress on those bolts, and new ones are cheap enough.

Replace them with 1/4"-28x1" socket head capscrews (the ones that take a hex key) and use LocTite 242 (medium strength - I don't rememer the colour offhand, since I work in numbers...

If you don't have the LocTite, go get it. It's cheap insurance.

If you don't have the bolts, go buy a box. Same reason.

5-90

5-90 said:
1/4"-28x1" socket head capscrews (the ones that take a hex key)

Isnt everything on the Jeep in metric?? Not saying your wrong but I though it was all in metic...

Chris

Oooooooohhhh, no. The only time things are SAE is when all you can reach is metric, and can't move. Or it's Torx. ;)

Yucca-Man said:
Oooooooohhhh, no. The only time things are SAE is when all you can reach is metric, and can't move. Or it's Torx. ;)

I think I had to much to drink because I dont understand a word you just said...

-------------------------------------------------------
I think I had to much to drink because I dont understand a word you just said...
----------------------------------------------------------
Craw under your Jeep. Put a trany on your chest. Then try finding the right wrench. I think then you will under stand him.

bzdel2441 said:
Hmmm. It made complete nonsense to me, at least...:shrug:

Back