• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield washer fluid heater...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Just perused through Cabelas' latest auto/truck catalog, for $190, they offer the above.

Heck, I bought a birdbath water heater for the winter for under $20.

The idea intrigues me, the one they sell uses the oem reservoir. There's gotta be a cheaper way of doing it, while I brainstorm tonite, any other ideas would be cool...

sv

Here we just use the winter washer fluid mixture. It gets -40 here. At that temp you don't need washers anyway. You need washers up around freezing. In 35+ years of driving in the winter, I have never needed a washer fluid heater.

I think it would be sweet it shoot out boiling hot washer fluid. But most washer fluids remain liquid to -30 anyway, so its still good to go.

Don't know, maybe it's just me, but that really does not sound like a good idea. If you take cold glass and introduce real warm, or maybe even hot liquid to it, the glass has a tendency to crack at the spot of introduction. No thanks, I'll just keep my scraper and factory defroster and be happy that it works.

ren said:
Don't know, maybe it's just me, but that really does not sound like a good idea. If you take cold glass and introduce real warm, or maybe even hot liquid to it, the glass has a tendency to crack at the spot of introduction. No thanks, I'll just keep my scraper and factory defroster and be happy that it works.
Yeah, tell me about it. In my eclipse, I actually just let the defroster go at it for like 30 minutes straight instead of clearing off the 1 of ice with 3 inches of snow on top... the window cracked all the way across. Just imagine what boiling water would do. :eek:

move to louisiana and your problem will be solved. i can usually get away with using water year round

I spent awhile reading reviews and independent opinions, unit got a couple of awards.

Not saying I'd spend the $$$, but they guarantee no windshield damage.

Found some industrial sources of 12 volt heating elements - maybe one mounted in reservoir? (unlike hotshots' method which intercepts the fluid and then heats it up on the way to the nozzles).

Ramsey, lookin' for a vacation place in fl., in terms of self-defense, the reddest state there is:sunshine: check out my signature...

http://www.webasto-hotshot.com/v_faq/index_en.php

Last edited:
Back