• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO More Rear Brakes

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, well I had those stupid braided brake lines on my jeep and not even a year went by before the rear one gave out at a friends house. I got a new rubber brake line and and he gave me fluid to put in my brakes. We got all the air out and the brakes worked fine for an hour then the pedal went all the way to the floor. come to find out he gave me power steering fluid and not brake fluid. If I loosen the bleeder screws on the rear wheel cylinders no fluid comes out no matter how hard I stomp on the brakes. I think the master cylinder is still good but if you look at the cover for the master cylinder the rubber gasket is all swelled up, soggy and huge in the front portion were I put in the power steering fluid. Could this mess up my proportioning valve or wheel cylinders. Thanks

I hate to tell you, but that's a great way to ruin a break system. I knew some one who got a deal on an old Pontiac 6000,k only to find out that it had power steering fluid in the break lines. I'm not sure if he had to get a master cylinder, but he had to replace every line, splitter, and wheel cylinder that was affected. He might of had a whole system full, so you might do better, but still, be prepared to have to change your rear cylinders and lines.

Sorry, but your master cylinder is no good, your calipers are no good, your rear wheel cylinders are no good, and your flex hoses are no good.

You now need to replace EVERYTHING rubber in the system. Including the combination/proportioning valve, which also has rubber O-rings in it.

Back