• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" BB questions

XJMark

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. I've been scouring resources from here and other boards trying to make an informed decision on all this lift business. I plan on using my XJ for light to medium trail use, my family likes to go camping alot and having a vehicle that doesn't get stuck too easily is my goal. I plan on using 31" tires with a 3" lift.

My idea for an inexpensive lift is to use Dakota leaves in the back (what 2" to 3" from those) and also extending the rear brake line with a 90's YJ rear brake line. The shocks will be on the cheap as researched by Eagle in a recent article about Monroe shocks (Thanks Eagle!). I've already got MJ shackles in the rear and it's gotten me to stock height.

I guess the root of my question is what do I put on the front to raise it 3"? I figure for shocks the same part as recommended by Eagle for the front. But what about springs? Is there some other vehicle I can get them from at the u-pull yard, maybe even add a spacer to it?

Brake lines, will I have to extend the front ones, or just relocate the bracket lower on the chassis/unibody? Does anyone forsee or did anyone have problems with slip yoke length at 3", because I don't want to do a SYE maybe just a TC lower kit if needed. I'm really trying to do this for as little cost as possible, any advice will be appreciated. Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks,

Mark

I've heard of people using a grand cherokee V8 spring in the front but I can't remember how much lift it will give you . Maaybe others will chime in on this. You may have to combine that with some spacers which come in different sizes from tera flex, Daystar etc. Usually around $40.00.

HTH, Dan

The the Grand Upcountry V8 springs netted me 2" I believe. From hub to flare I think I am at 19 1/2" So toss a 1" or 2" on spacer and your made. I wouldnt worry about a TC drop or SYE because your only driving an '88 and I would percieve no problems at all. Dont know the max height you could run without one but 3-4" you shouldnt have any problems.
Kyle

I've done some searches on the web today and read in a few places about using the coil springs from an F-150 and getting around 2 to 3" in front. Anyone heard of this or have any experience?

I guess it may result in somewhat of a stiffer ride but that would be acceptable.

I also have a better chance of finding these springs at the u-pull vs. the Grand Cherokee springs. For some reason there are numerous Cherokees in the junkyards but no Grands.

Mark

Back