• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a free engine

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
My friend sold some property and he needed to get rid of an engine so he said I could have it. I guess it's an early 80s engine. Pretty sure it's a two barrel carb on it, and it's out of a CJ. Anyone know anything about what this engine could be? I want to get a stroker rebuild started, I just want to know if this engine can be of any use to me.

My friend said it only has 30 some thousand on it, but it's been sittin out in the elements for years and has dirt in the back valve cover hole. So I'm pretty sure this thing needs to be ripped apart before it ever sees the inside of an engine bay.

If it's a straight six out of an 80's CJ, I can damn near guarantee it's going to be a 258. If it wouldn't cost so much, I'd ask you to send me the crank and rods - I'll have to find a set locally.

You can use the crankshaft and rods for your stroker buildup.

A quick way to verify the engine is to measure the bore - the 199/232/258 are all 3.750", the 242 is 3.875" The 199 and 232 have been out of production since the 70's, so you're going to be looking at a "wide deck" 258 engine.

5-90

Yeah I didn't really say that it was a straight six but it is. I guess it's easy to figure out by what I'm talking about though. Right now the engine is fully assembled, is there any codes on the outside that would verify what it is. When he told me about this engine I immediately thought of a stroker buildup and hoped this would save me some money with the project. I guess I'll keep hoping untill I get the time to pull the head off. Thanks for the quick and very helpfull response.

Back