• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj electical stuff

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever i hit the brake pedal in my 88 mj all the lights dim just a little bit, i can't tell if they stay dim or just dim down for a second. Is this something i should be worried about or is it normal. My 95 xj never did this so i did't know if it was a renix thing or not. Also could this have anything to do with my fuse that keeps blowing for my running lamps and guages? I know a fuse that keeps blowing means a short so i guess i'll just have to find it. I think that my plate lights are in that same circtut and that whole system back there is looking suspect. Any info, help and ideas would be much appreciated!!!

Mike

Pull apart all the connectors running to the back and check for corrosion and poor contact. Also, sometimes a connector can corrode in such a way that electricity can bridge from one pin to the next, causing shorts and the like. Keep an eye out for green goo, it's bad news.

Yah - it's old enough that corrosion can be a problem for you. I'd consider corrosion and crud a suspect in any electrical problem for a vehicle over 10 years old - and the first thing I check.

The main front-to-back harness should run under the driver's door sill, and along the left bed rail or frame rail. There should be a large connector behind the kick panel, and another one somewhere behind the left taillight. Check those first.

Clean everything, apply a LIGHT coat of Ox-Gard or similar, and reassemble. You can cover them with electrical tape if you stretch it over the connector and overlap it by halves to make a good seal - it can't hurt. Make sure that the spots where the wires enter the connector shell are sealed - seal them if they're not.

5-90

Back