• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I cut the TRE off of my Teraflex TB and put a johnny joint in?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a Teraflex track bar with a worn-out TRE. I don't like the TRE because it has up and down movement built in according to the rep at Teraflex I talked to. Other than that I love the TEra track bar because it's curved just right to never hit the pumpkin even with minimal lift, and it has a bend toward the axle end so it never limits your down travel. It also has an adjusting sleeve so the length can be adjusted without removing the bar.

I've previously used the RE heavy duty track bar and mount, and also the standard RE track bar with the heim joint. I liked the heavy duty one, except my front diff would hit the bar when the driver-side tire would compress while off-roading. I've never heard of anybody else having that problem, but I don't want one now because it's too expensive to find out if that was a one-time problem. I didn't care much for the standard RE track bar with the heim. The heim got a little loose after a while.

From what I can see, using the RE HD mount and simply welding on a JJ in place of the TRE on my current track bar would be the ultimate. Can you get a good weld with solid stock (the Tera bar is solid, not tubing) to 3/16" or so material for the JJ sleeve? I'd have a professional do the weld just to make sure, but I've heard of problems with solid stock to tubing. Let me know what you guys think. TIA.

xj92 said:
I've previously used the RE heavy duty track bar and mount, and also the standard RE track bar with the heim joint. I liked the heavy duty one, except my front diff would hit the bar when the driver-side tire would compress while off-roading. I've never heard of anybody else having that problem, but I don't want one now because it's too expensive to find out if that was a one-time problem. I didn't care much for the standard RE track bar with the heim. The heim got a little loose after a while.
Thats only because you didnt run the proper bump stops. Ive run the HD RE bar since 3" plus and over 4 years without ever hitting my difff.

I run bumpstops to keep the tire out of the fender, not to keep the axle from hitting the track bar. That's why the Teraflex track bar is curved correctly, and doesn't hit the diff, even with no bumpstops. BTW, I agree with using a Super Flex joint instead because I can keep it tight as it wears out. I still refer to all of them as JJ's by habit.

Last edited:
Back