• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more brakes, 4 disc isn't all there

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj on 35s and have disc all around, ZJ disc in the rear. Have done no other mod. I justed wanted to know of some fixes to be able to lock the brakes up. Currently can not do that. I've heard/read somewhere about pulling the o-ring off of the proportion valve to increase the flow. Has anyone heard that? I understand I could get an adjustable valve, but was just wondering if there is an easy/cheap fix for now, just to give me more braking without breaking the bank. Thanks for any help.

mmmkay325 said:
I have a 96 xj on 35s and have disc all around, ZJ disc in the rear. Have done no other mod. I justed wanted to know of some fixes to be able to lock the brakes up. Currently can not do that. I've heard/read somewhere about pulling the o-ring off of the proportion valve to increase the flow. Has anyone heard that? I understand I could get an adjustable valve, but was just wondering if there is an easy/cheap fix for now, just to give me more braking without breaking the bank. Thanks for any help.

The o-ring trick is worth a try. Currently, can you lock up either the front or the rear or neither? Adding an adjustable proportioning valve is a good idea. Also, a Corvetter master cylindar is a pretty inexpensive swap.
Billy

I am about to do the swap, I picked up a brake proportioning valve from a ZJ with 4-wheel disc brakes (forgot to grab the one off the zj I took the brakes from) and am going to swap that sucker in there....I haven't found any writeups for it....I'll let you know if it works.

Tested mine in the dirt locking them up before and after pulling the o ring out. It locked up the rear after removing it, and stops alot faster. It's easy to remove just make sure to fully bleed your brake system or you'll lose all braking when you're done.

QckSlvr said:
hey, check out http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml

its tj stuff but same theory, hes done the zj proportioning valve swap with a write up. check it out

Talking about TJs.
I need to know the overall length of the ebrake cables and the length of the exterior tube of the cables, from one attach flange to the other attach flange of the TJ with discs.
As you may have guessed, I would like to know whether the TJ disc brake ecables can be used with the XJ disc conversions.
Right now I am using the ZJ ecables and they are a tight fit. A few extra inches wouldn't hurt.
Anybody that can get this info, please respond.

Back