• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement shock absorbers?

Reindeer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I have a stock '92 XJ that has squishy, soft shocks.
I would like to replace them with something that will give me decent handling, and a comfortable ride.
I have a bad back, so it must be bearable.
I do a fair amount of mountain road driving in the Rockies,
often in snow or rain.

Suggestions? Good experiences? Brands to avoid?

My best advice would be to search - there are more threads about this subject on here than what's the best lift to get. Basically you pays your money and takes your choice. Pick of the bunch would be Edelbrocks, Old Man Emu, Bilsteins or Doetsch Tech, followed closely by Rancho 9000's and so on. First decide how much money you want to spend, if you want to go for a lift later (overlength shocks) and what type of driving you're doing.

I have no plans at this point to lift my Jeep.
I do mostly mountain paved road driving, but not much off road.
I am also constrained by a limited budget, which makes everything harder.
Is there a web site that you would recommend?

I agree with CHANCERS recomendations...sans RANCHO..although adj, they tend to be harsh.

If its 99% street driving, I really like and have had excellent luck with MONROE Sence-A-Track shocks.

Just MHO,

CW

For a stock, unlifted XJ IMHO you have two coices: Monroe SensaTrac, or Monroe Reflex.

If you have a back problem and you know you won't be lifting, get the SensaTracs.

I've had a back problem since being crunched in an auto accident 45 years ago. I know very well how excruciating a harsh ride can be when your back is having a bad day.

Eagle said:
For a stock, unlifted XJ IMHO you have two coices: Monroe SensaTrac, or Monroe Reflex.

If you have a back problem and you know you won't be lifting, get the SensaTracs.

I've had a back problem since being crunched in an auto accident 45 years ago. I know very well how excruciating a harsh ride can be when your back is having a bad day.
Totally agree here. I have the SensaTracs, and they ride very nice (I know "very nice" is highly subjective).

When I was stock height I ran the SensaTrac's and loved them. My rig rode very smoothly, better than most cars I've ridden in fact. If I hadn't lifted it I would have kept getting them since they're pretty inexpensive as well. IMHO they're your best bet for a comfortable riding shock.

Has anyone used the Sensatrac Load Adjusting Shocks in the rear? I've been considering them and figure that they might help slow down and prevent rear end sagging.

Thank you everyone for you prompt replies.
For my needs, it sounds like consensus around Monroe Sensa Trac.

Fortunately, that's what my mechanic sells (rebranded by NAPA).
A quick check of prices look to be about $35 each, $140 for four,
not including the 8.6% Colorado sales tax.

Thanks so much for your help!

I have additional questions,

Is it common for XJs to wear out shocks faster than other vehicles?
I also noticed some slight rear end sag.
Do all XJs experience this?

I bought my Jeep used with 75K miles on it.
The current set of shocks are replacements.

At only 3300 lbs., it seems to me that this kind of wear
shouldn't be happening.
Is there a problem with the rear leaf springs?

Thanks again, you guys are great!

My '88 XJ was bought new. The OEM shocks lasted about 100,000 miles (I think a bit less, my brother swears it was more). After briefly trying and hating both Rancho 5000s and KYB Gas-Adjusts, I went with the Monroe Gas Magnum Plus, a model no longer available but which just happens to have the same numbers as the SensaTrac. I finally replaced them (under the lifetime warranty, so it didn't cost me a dime) with a new set of SensaTracs ... at 245,000 miles.

My rear springs are down about 1/2" from stock -- that's with 250,000 miles, a heavy tool box and spare parts and extra fluids in the back, and a steel Garvin wilderness rack on the roof. Some people complain that XJ rear springs wear out too soon but, considering all the hauling and towing I have done with mine, I don't accept that. My springs don't owe me a nickle, and I'm sure that if I were to take off the rack and remove all the gear I haul around, I'd be right back up there at stock height.

Reindeer said:
I have additional questions,

Is it common for XJs to wear out shocks faster than other vehicles?
I also noticed some slight rear end sag.
Do all XJs experience this?

I bought my Jeep used with 75K miles on it.
The current set of shocks are replacements.

At only 3300 lbs., it seems to me that this kind of wear
shouldn't be happening.
Is there a problem with the rear leaf springs?

Thanks again, you guys are great!
I can tell you that a 99' 2 door cherkoee scales over 4000lbs without the driver.So I think your 3300 is a little light.They weren't heavy enough spring packs from the factory=sagging rear with age ,kinda like women.

XJAY1999 said:
I can tell you that a 99' 2 door cherkoee scales over 4000lbs without the driver.So I think your 3300 is a little light.They weren't heavy enough spring packs from the factory=sagging rear with age ,kinda like women.

I'm quoting from the manual, so... you may be right.
I have heard that the newer XJs have a metal rear door, as opposed to the fiberglass that mine has.
I don't know if that makes any difference.
The springs have definitely sagged, and not evenly.
My XJ's back end lists to port slightly.

You're not the only one with springs like that. My 95's stock springs had completely inverted, not one leaf of the packs were below the centerline of the spring eyes. That's worse than most I've seen, but it happens more than it should. High miles and carrying a lot of weight in there doesn't help either.

I've got Napa (Tenneco) Airshocks on my 98 (as well as Dad's '90 and Sis's '92) and they improved the ride a noticeable amount and Dad has wheeled the piss out of his with just those, RS5000's on the front (got some in the garage for mine now, just have to have time to install them), and 235/75/15 Wrangler AT/D's. The ride is good on Dad's and corners well too for 275k on the clock. The leaves had over 100k of railroad related tools (about 500lbs), offroading (also railroading related), and they still returned to a normal shape after Dad and the truck were retired by the railroad!

nhrocker said:
You're not the only one with springs like that. My 95's stock springs had completely inverted, not one leaf of the packs were below the centerline of the spring eyes. That's worse than most I've seen, but it happens more than it should. High miles and carrying a lot of weight in there doesn't help either.

According to the odometer, and Faxcheck, it only has 95K miles on it.
However, there was a minor accident with this rig that left the drivers door not seated quite right, and some very minor bumper damage that was not recorded anywhere. All minor, but not documented.

The leafs are sagging a bit, and severly corroded from mag cloride, as is the rest of the undercarriage.
They use mountains of MC in Boston, as is common practice in so many places.
However, the leafs are far from inverted. Sorry to hear that.
I did do some towing of my stuff when I moved to Colorado three years ago. I'm sure that didn't help, as the load was 7,500 lbs for the better part of a week.

Reindeer said:
I did do some towing of my stuff when I moved to Colorado three years ago. I'm sure that didn't help, as the load was 7,500 lbs for the better part of a week.
That's the weight of the trailer, most of which was supported on the trailer tires. The only portion of that that would affect the XJ springs would be the tongue weight of the trailer, and that wasn't 7,500 pounds or the rear bumper would have been 6 inches below the surface of the pavement.

I've run darn near everything in the way of aftermarket, OE length/valved shocks...and I can confidently say that Bilsteins blow the others away, hands down.

I've seen people with the Toyota 'TRD' Bilstein shocks (which were built to Toy's specs, not Bilstein's) replace them with BILSTEIN'S engineered shocks...and they were extremely pleased with the results. I've driven them before and after and I was impressed with the engineering that went into them. Bilstein puts a lot of effort into making them work with even specific applications.

I run them on my own vehicles and wouldn't have it any other way. :) I ditched those $10 OEM shocks and haven't looked back.

Back