• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D44 cost?

balloo93

NAXJA Forum User
Found a D44 from a 87 for $450. I'm thinking that's too steep a price, but what are everyone elses opinion?

I planned on just swapping in a 29spline 8.25, due to the fact that 33's would be about as big as I'd go. Those go for around $300-350 without looking too hard or haggling. Most places do not have the XJ D44's, so this is kinda a freak occurance for me.

Any opinions? Anybody in teh Austin, San Antonio, DFW area that has found them cheaper or can get one cheaper?

slowrider said:
I've found them in boneyards for $160 if you pull it yourself and $250 allready pulled from a private party.
XJ D44's?If so you should probably purchase every one you find.When I bought mine($350),west coast prices were much higher than here(AZ).They are also getting much harder to find driving prices up even more!

I paid $500 installed incuding gear swap, new bearings and brakes

that seems to be the going price, although some yards dont know what they have and will let them go for much cheaper if your lucky. i would call that a bit steep but not by much

I got 2 for 100 a piece

as if you cant tell, it varies from locations. but the advice of pulling what you find might not be too far off. if you know of a demand around you and you can pick a couple, make some cash off them and use it for your project why not....

-

This guy knows what he has, he tinkers with jeeps on his own time and knows which axles are in demand and how rare the thing is.

I'm still thinking of just swapping in a 8.25 due to the ease of install and that a 97-01 axle probably won't need much work ($$) to slap it on in.

Where is Crash loacted??

I paid $340 for mine from a guy. All the junkyards around wanted at least 400, all d35's at the pick and pull. So yeah, you could find one cheaper...it might take a little while to find one near you though.

Dana 44s go for about $350-$400 around here if sold by private sellers and $99 if you're lucky enough to find one at the wrecking yard.I got mine through a trade.I sold a 29 spline 8.25 to a good friend for $150.

I agree with planefixer. seems to be the going price around hear. I got lucky and found a housing for 75.00, and shafts of ebay for 100. was doin a gear swap so didnt really need the carrier and gears.

I got two for $50 a piece and one for $100 at local junk yards. WOO HOO. One is under my XJ, one is under my cousin's YJ and I sold the third one.

supply & demand at work... ;)

i paid more for mine back in the day, but i wanted it ASAP at the time to go to moab,
and it had a perfectly functional traclok and matching gears. as others have said, if you
can afford to wait and/or look around you can find them cheaper.

$.02

why?

for the cost of a ford 9", wheel spacer adaptors (maybe) and a welding shop to put perches and shockmounts, you could buy a stock d44...

175 for housing with shafts and everything from your local parts yard
grind the perches and clean the housing yourself - free
re-use the perches - free
brakes in total cost me 30.00 for new pads, cylenders, springs, and hard lines
re-use stock rear flexable brake line - free
stock e-brake lines worked too - free
buddy to weld shock mounts and perches on - free

your looking at a $200 axle with a stronger pinion than a d60...

Back