• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of weird things

GGR

NAXJA Forum User
Since I did my relift on my XJ I've noticed a couple of weird things that I have not been able to fix using search, allthough I have gotten a lot of ideas as to what It could be.

1. When i make a right turn up a curb/driveway I hear/feel a loud clunk or pop. Very brief, yet pronounced and annoying. Through the search I found out It could be:

trackbar, loose bolts, loose lower CA's...
The bolts are good, I got the alignment done, I've checked the LCA's
and the track bar does not seem to look much different from stock unless I don't know what to look for. Which is extremely possible.

2. I have also noticed that my new RE 3.5's are spreading or fanning, WTF???
Seems like if I air down I'll rub the leafs.. This can't be that good.
Will this correct itself as the leafs settle in?
I'll try to get some pics of this up for you all to see.

My lift consists of RE 3.5" in the rear w/1.5" shackle & 4 degree shims, 78' F100/F150 coils w 2" spacers & JKS's, basically an adaptation of lunghd.com's, Just instead of using the stock leaf/dakota leafs I bought a set of RE rears.

I think the ride is good, and the springs are still settling in. I had read a lot of people putting down the ride quality of those fronts, but I don't think they ride bad at all. I don't have a SYE and so far have not noticed any driveline vibes.

Here's a couple of pics with the lift installed
6tii5g.jpg

6tiio9.jpg

Sorry they are soooooo big :)

GGR said:
1. When i make a right turn up a curb/driveway I hear/feel a loud clunk or pop. Very brief, yet pronounced and annoying. Through the search I found out It could be:

trackbar, loose bolts, loose lower CA's...
The bolts are good, I got the alignment done, I've checked the LCA's
and the track bar does not seem to look much different from stock unless I don't know what to look for. Which is extremely possible.
See if there are any rub marks? It's very possible that you're rubbing the flares and that's were teh pop is coming from: you grab a flare with the lug and then let go. Also you could be rubbing on LCA's
2. I have also noticed that my new RE 3.5's are spreading or fanning, WTF???
Seems like if I air down I'll rub the leafs.. This can't be that good.
Will this correct itself as the leafs settle in?
I'll try to get some pics of this up for you all to see.
How far appart? My 3.5" pack and 4.5" pack did that too to a certain extent. The bigger leafs are held together semi loosely by the clamp (but it still controls enough of the sideways movement not to touch the tire at least in my case). It also depends on your backspacing and tire size: when I had the 3.5" pack I was good with stock rims and 31x1050 . The lower leaf is held together and limited from traveling too far out sidezways by the ubolts (makke suore that they're still there adn the right size.

Well I found out that my noises were coming from the rear axle. It seems that my U Bolts needed to be re-tightened. After doing that I have had no new problems.
I also installed some 4" BS soft 8's so no rubbing anywhere.

Thanks

yeah I did that and it worked for the foryce outing, but I had ordered the soft 8's already, so now I have tight ubolts and about 4" of space between the leaf pack and the wheel. :)

I had a Popping noise like that on mine. I replaced the U-Joint between the hub and the axle housing and it fixed it. The Needle Bearings were actually dust in one of the caps. Good luck!

Back