• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C and heater only works on HI

xjbmx

NAXJA Forum User
About 2 months ago my heater/AC will only work on high. All other settings it just shuts off. Anybody had this happen to them before or know what part will fix this?

check your vacuume bottle, it's located behind the front bumper, left side if you are facing your xj. mine is a 93' and it's vacume bottle had a hole in it and that affected the ac. good luck

Both of the above posters have given you incorrect information on the root cause of your problem.

The voltage to the blower motor is less than 12 volts when the motor speed switch is set to anything other than "HI". The voltage is lessened by passing through a resistor network on it's way from the switch to the motor. When this resistor network burns out, only 12V goes to the fan motor, and then the fan only turns at it's highest speed.

This resistor network is a series of wire coils mounted in an opening in the side of the heater box. Look for a small panel (about 2 inches square) with a multi-pin connector going into it. The panel is held on by a couple of screws.

This resistor network can be purchased and installed easily, and restore all the speeds to your fan.

One more vote for the resistor pack or rather the thermal fuse in that pack which is a common problem. As the blower motor gets older and stickier it tends to draw more current and consequently it pops the fuse. The part can be had from Rat Shack for about $2 and the fix takes about 20 min. Here's a link that covers the whole deal...

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/Jeep/HVAC-fuselink_fix.html

Hmmm, sorry Grizz...I never even saw your post before I essentially repeated it :gag:

Last edited:
I just pulled the resistor pack out and tested it, turns out its the problem, im gonna go up to radioshack and get a new thermal fuse.

thanks guys

MarkdaleXJ said:
Hmmm, sorry Grizz...I never even saw your post before I essentially repeated it :gag:

:laugh3: That's ok. I actually followed your link thinking you had found a new page with the repair. :D Always looking for XJ tech.

This question gets asked so often it almost needs to be into a FAQ's section when it gets set up.

Ok so where is the resistor pack on a 98. I noticed that the link is for the pre-96's. I took the glove box out and did see anything like the pics and its kinda hard to tell where it fits in the parts catalog.

Can anyone give me the part number for a new resistor pack?
1994 xj, 4.0 AT a/c

I've replaced the thermal fuse a couple of times now, what could be causing this?
What other jeeps/years are they interchangable with?

thanks

So, this fix is only if you have high spped only?
If the fan works normally, but dies out if going uphill, I should check for vacuum leak(s)?
I have searched and read replies, just confirming.

XJ4PLAY said:
So, this fix is only if you have high spped only?
If the fan works normally, but dies out if going uphill, I should check for vacuum leak(s)?
I have searched and read replies, just confirming.

you got it-- fan won't die going up hill, but the door that directs the air to the vents moves (lack of vacuum) and blocks the normal airflow:clap:

--Shorty

Back