• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

F\E leaf spring conv bad wrap w\pix

cski

NAXJA Forum User
Am I mssing something, or are my spring pearches too short or ????? I'm at a loss. I have also just installed a drop pitman arm and the steering wheel is upside down and it feels like I'm driving a boat. Any help would be appreciated and yes I know there is alot of rust.

It is hard to tell from you pics, but did you do a shackle forward or reverse? What springs did you use?

For you pitman arm issue, it sounds like you just spun the steering wheel why the linkage was disconected, jut pull the arm, center the wheel, and hook it back up....

If you resize your pics it would be easier to look for a problem in your setup....

Thanx for checking this out. I don't get your shackle question and I am trying to redo the pix. As for the steering wheel being spun, it only goes on one way it has a slot in the threads where it goes on and the turning radious is equal in both directions.

Last edited:
your drag link and sway bar look to be way out of wack. looks like your tracbar is at like a 45* angle. what do you mean about feels like a boat your driving a lifted rig with bigger tires and no swaybar it isn't gonna feel like a sports car. there are many people that have done leafs up front so if you use the search you should find some info. also about the axle wrap (what looks to be an add a leaf and some kind of stock springs) that doesn't spell wrap prevention in my mind.

o yea paint is your friend :kissyou:

I'm not too familiar with leaf sprung front ends but I'm under the impression that the trackbar and the draglink should ideally follow the same angles/path...

Too avoid bumpsteer that is...

Although I thought that with a leaf sprung front end...

You didn't need a trackbar...

:dunno:

Edit: Here's a pic of Thrasher's setup:

137418.jpg

Last edited:
like brett said that setup is SCARY....I am not running a trackbar and I did the alignment with a tape measure and mine turns fine, little bumpsteer but a proper alignment should take care of that...

the shackle question has to do with where the shackle is in your setup....it looks like you have yours behind the axle (shackle reversed)....having the shackle this way is hard to dial in and could be contributing to your handling issues also....I would rip it all out, paint it, and go with shackle forward and ditch the track bar.....

Sweet Jesus, have mercy.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Sweet Jesus, have mercy.

CRASH

I concur, but as a Jew it carries far less weight coming from me. How's this...

Oy Veh!

Also...

Comic Book Guy said:
Worst track bar ever.
char_comicbook.jpg

Last edited:
Is all that rust from surf fishing? Good Lord Almighty, it looks like its gonna fall off! Good thing I'm in AZ, no rust! :sunshine:

Oh yea, put the shackle in front ( that might require re-welding the perches) and ditch the track bar.

Axle wrap on front leaves? Never heard of that before....... :puke:

There is a cure for axle wrap in leaf springs, it's called a link suspension.......something like comes stock on an XJ. :D

That track bar is so far out of the correct geometry that it's scary.......it's going to put funny forces at work as you suspension cycles. If your springs and bushings are good enough, you shouldn't need the track bar. No wonder it drives funny.........

:wow:

Hey all thanx for all the info. I really appreciate it. Although I bought the truck like you see it that is the suspension I did alot to it to get it streetable. But anywho, I would like a few more pix of the front ends, different angles if possible. Because after I posted this I went out to the store for a quick minute and got assended hard and my rig is totaled. I am in the midst of looking for another one and want to keep the front leaf's. So any kinda help would be great. THANX again.:wave:

Back