• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting Leaf Springs - Best Tool?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
My BB project has given me a good excuse to get a new tool :) What is the preferred tool for cutting the eyes off a leaf spring? I've got a 26 gallon air compressor, so air tools are an option.

Thanks, Dave

I tried a sawzall, no luck.
I used a 4.5" angle grinder with cutoff discs/wheels.
It went through like a hot knife through butter. It stunk when burning through the poly bushings I left in the eyes though. The angler grinder also helped a lot with just cutting my old u-bolts off and the old leaf spring center pins.
Make sure you cut below the center of the eyes to ensure proper support.

I did the 2" rocklizard budget boost (modified) also, PM me if you have questions about the different options. I used another set of stock leaves, along with all my old leaves (in proper order) minus the two smallest original leaves in the rear, and 1.75" spacers and GC V8 coils in the front. I have HEAVY bumpers that weigh it down, but it sits about 2" above what I believe to be stock height, and used to be very sagged looking.

circular saw with metal cutting blade worked better than the grinder and better than the sawzall for me....

XJ_ranger said:
circular saw with metal cutting blade worked better than the grinder and better than the sawzall for me....

x2

i use a 10 inch blade on a makita chop saw. nice, easy, clean cuts.

I agree a chop saw is the best way to go...but if you don't have an angle grinder, it will come in handy in the future!

Sounds like an angle grinder would be a nice tool to add to my collection. Air or electric? I have a 26 gallon air compressor. Thanks for the advice.

Electric... no sense in waiting on the compressor.

went through 3 DeWalt Blades on my sawzall, then somebody suggested AIR, it was quick, lots of sparks lots of POSER SHOTS* :p but sucked, heh... grinder did both in less than a minute each! :p

plasma cutter.

Renegade Jpr said:
plasma cutter.
he only has a 26 galon tank - that would be the worst tool...

Back