• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving without front driveshaft?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking about getting a (wrecked) 2wd XJ to convert into 4wd at a later date. The price is right, but the front (2wd) axle is bent, making it undrivable. I was going to get another 2wd front axle, but can get a D30 for around the same price, and at a later date do the 4wd conversion to it. Would it be ok to drive around without a front driveshaft?
Are there any problems I might experience or problems with high speeds?

Will the front D30 bolt right up where the old beam axle was, everything I read seems to tell me it will. (My wife needs to be able to drive this XJ daily, whether or not it's 4wd, but I'd like to not waste $100 on a straight axle that I'm planning on replacing in 6 months if I can just drive it on a D30.)

It will drive fine w/o the front drive shaft, but everybody will tell you something is moving under your jeep.

It'll work fine. All of the attaching points are the same. But JIC you are interested in a 2WD beam axle for temporary use, I have my MJ one left over you can have for cheap $$$. It's up in PA (close to Pittsburgh) if you can get it.
Jeff

I have not had my front drive shaft attached for more than 20,000 miles (except for when I am wheeling) and I do not notice anything except that I now get about 23 MPG. The shaft resideds in the back of the XJ and I put on only when I am at an off road park and remove it when I returning home.

jfiscus said:
i was thinking about getting a (wrecked) 2wd XJ to convert into 4wd at a later date. The price is right, but the front (2wd) axle is bent, making it undrivable. I was going to get another 2wd front axle, but can get a D30 for around the same price, and at a later date do the 4wd conversion to it. Would it be ok to drive around without a front driveshaft?
Are there any problems I might experience or problems with high speeds?

Will the front D30 bolt right up where the old beam axle was, everything I read seems to tell me it will. (My wife needs to be able to drive this XJ daily, whether or not it's 4wd, but I'd like to not waste $100 on a straight axle that I'm planning on replacing in 6 months if I can just drive it on a D30.)
You might want to do a search on here about doing a 2WD to 4WD conversion.Most will recommend just buying a 4WD to start.

RCP Phx said:
You might want to do a search on here about doing a 2WD to 4WD conversion.Most will recommend just buying a 4WD to start.

but most will also help to talk you through the whole process, heck, its our hobby to buy, break, build, break, modifie, break, beef up, break, replace to heavy duty untill our jeeps bearly resemble jeeps and help others to do the same with their jeeps too.

did i mention we some times break our jeeps?

techno1154 said:
I have not had my front drive shaft attached for more than 20,000 miles (except for when I am wheeling) and I do not notice anything except that I now get about 23 MPG. The shaft resideds in the back of the XJ and I put on only when I am at an off road park and remove it when I returning home.

You actually remove then install your front driveshaft every time you go 'wheeling? How often do you go 'wheeling?

BruteXJ said:
You actually remove then install your front driveshaft every time you go 'wheeling? How often do you go 'wheeling?

I do about 40,000 miles per year mostly on the highway. The XJ is my only means of transport. Removing or replacing the front drive shaft is a 15 minute job. Here in Miami I do not wheel my XJ. I often travel to other states where I seek out a local club and wheel with them. NAXJA club members are hard to find.

techno1154 said:
NAXJA club members are hard to find.

That's strange.. I keep finding them when I'm not trying to. Los Angeles.. Orange County.. New York City.. I was almost run over by an xj with a naxja city in the financial district of Manhattan last month. Granted, i was j-walking.. .. but it was manhattan. :)

Back