• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New steering Problem

Royce

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.... right now its not a problem just an annoyance, but I'm sure its not a good sign. I noticed tonight on my way home when i turn the steering wheel im am noy getting a popping sound. I figure all I have to do is crank my track bar bolts down. thats what a sunday of hard wheelin will do I guess. But now I am also getting this creeking noise everytime I turn the wheel. What could this be? the trackbar frame bracket? Myabe something loosened up there too. Any other thoughts guys. I'll have to drive this way till at least tomorrow after work. I hope it stays sunny! TIA.

Check the tracbar as you have mentioned. Also, check the ball joints, and the steering stabilizer. Make sure the PS box and upper tracbar mount are tight and that there are no cracks in the frame where they are bolted.

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

I'd say have someone else turn the wheel whilst you look at EVERYTHING underneath. Make sure the motor is off so you can hear what's going on. That should lead to a quicker, more accurate assesment of the situation.

Sean

I got that creaking sound,I forgot to torque the steering box bolts after I installed my bumper!

Mine was doing that a few months ago. I took it in to the dealer after describing it over the phone. At that point it was suspected that it was what they called a "clock spring". What they stated was the cause after I dropped it off was a bent stearing column. The repair was under warrenty. Well if that was the problem, I bent another one. It's been doing it again lately. Seems to be when turning left although after having the alignment done last week, it stoped doing it for a couple of days. I don't know that this helps but if you develop a slight ratcheting/clicking over the next month or two, you wont be alone. What year XJ?

Mines a '94. I am gonna take a look at the track bar and ps box bolts today. Thanks for the advice guys.

Has anyone figured this out for sure, my 2000 with a re6130 lift,
it is not:
the sway bar
trac bar
shocks
bump stops.

it hapens when standing still or moving, when i turn the wheels to the right,

Back