• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to D44 or 8.25

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
I was considering getting rid of the D35 when I lift my new project and sticking in an 8.25 or D44. Would the yokes be of different lengths causing me to need a new driveshaft or would it simply be a bolt-in.

From what I've heard on the boards, I'd go with the 44, don't bother to do all the work of swapping if your changing from a D35 to an 8.25 because they aren't that much different, not really an upgrade. I'll let someone else answer the rest of your question.
:arrowr:

I went to the D44. And have 35's and have wheeled it pretty good. And I didn't have to do anything to my drive shaft. Yokes are the same, well if you get your D44 from a XJ of course.

I think the nose of the D44 is an inch longer. I am running around 4" of lift and when I did my swap from D35 to D44 It just pushed the slip yolk up closer to the stock location. It has gotten rid of the small vibes I had. If you do go with a 8.25 go with a '97 or newer because the spline count is 29 as opposed to 27 spline in the pre '97 (I think that is right). My vote is for the D44.
DIG IT!
I found a couple of D44 in Mich. for ya if you want the websites

Back