• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 vs Dana 44 Question

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok Guys, so I found an MJ at a local junkyard, is it worth pulling and rebuilding...or should i keep my 8.25, which already has 4.56, and shorter shock mounts, with brand new brakes. I have a little cash to use, and i want to add an LSD, not sure which of the two to do......
If I keep the 8.25, I would do 29 spline shafts and a new LSD, and be done with it, if I get the Dana 44, obviously i would have to do everything from scratch....your thoughts....

Oh and BTW,.......biggest I will ever go is maybe a 33.....

tcm glx said:
Ok Guys, so I found an MJ at a local junkyard, is it worth pulling and rebuilding...or should i keep my 8.25, which already has 4.56, and shorter shock mounts, with brand new brakes. I have a little cash to use, and i want to add an LSD, not sure which of the two to do......
If I keep the 8.25, I would do 29 spline shafts and a new LSD, and be done with it, if I get the Dana 44, obviously i would have to do everything from scratch....your thoughts....

If you're planning on getting 29 spline shafts and a new locker (or carrier) you might as well get the 44 and slowly build it up. D44 is non cclip and it's smoother on the bottom (no lip to catch). Granted with the 44 you'd have to weld on perches (MJ is SUA) and weld on shockmounts, but that's not that much work.
<edit>
btw, if you look a bit harder then you'll find an XJ 44 and all you'll have to do is move up the shockmounts.

tcm glx said:

If the biggest you'll go is 33's, and you already have the 8.25; I'd do the shafts, a locker and be done with it. It has new brakes, raised shock mounts, it'll be fine with 33's. No real reason to build up a 44 from scratch. If anything pick up the 44 anyway and sell it for some $$. Completely fund the upgrades on the 8.25.

tcm glx said:

Just kinda answered your own question. Get a spare set of shafts, or a set of aftermarket 27 spline shafts and get your limited slip. Will cost next to nothing to get a set of junkyard shafts and the LS with be a cake to put in, since it has adjustable spanars. Oh yea you wont need the spare shafts anyway because you wont break them anyway. And the lip that is at the bottom of the housing can be taken care of in many ways. Minor to setting up a new dana 44 with new shock mounts and everything else. So my advice keep the 8.25 its a strong axle that will hold up for what you are doing with it.

Pete

91 Jeep Project said:
If the biggest you'll go is 33's, and you already have the 8.25; I'd do the shafts, a locker and be done with it. It has new brakes, raised shock mounts, it'll be fine with 33's. No real reason to build up a 44 from scratch. If anything pick up the 44 anyway and sell it for some $$. Completely fund the upgrades on the 8.25.
He has the 27 spline 8.25..... so with 33's it might be a wee bit interesting sometimes :D In regards to building the 8.25, well you're limited to 4.56's on gears and to put in a locker you're going to have to get a full carrier locker (when upgrading the shafts) cause finding a 29 carrier is not that easy. Anyways, since you have to regear the rear end when doing the axle shaft upgrade it's not worth it to dump money into it if you can get a D44 for about $125 or so.

Kejtar said:
He has the 27 spline 8.25..... so with 33's it might be a wee bit interesting sometimes :D In regards to building the 8.25, well you're limited to 4.56's on gears and to put in a locker you're going to have to get a full carrier locker (when upgrading the shafts) cause finding a 29 carrier is not that easy. Anyways, since you have to regear the rear end when doing the axle shaft upgrade it's not worth it to dump money into it if you can get a D44 for about $125 or so.

All of this was contigent on the fact that he would "maybe" go to 33'ss, max. I know he has the 27 spline, otherwise why the hell would he be upgrading to the 29 spline...........:)

If I had no intention on going any larger than 33's, my axle was upgradeable with better stock shafts, has 3" tubes. I already dumped the $$ for new brakes, and have raised the shock mounts. Why start over. None of the things you listed are an issue if he just wants to stay around a 33" Tire. P.S. those 29 spline carriers sell on here all the time. I bought one of them, and at the time someone was selling a full upgrade carrier/shafts as well............... :laugh3:

PeterBuilt said:
Just kinda answered your own question. Get a spare set of shafts, or a set of aftermarket 27 spline shafts and get your limited slip. Will cost next to nothing to get a set of junkyard shafts and the LS with be a cake to put in, since it has adjustable spanars. Oh yea you wont need the spare shafts anyway because you wont break them anyway. And the lip that is at the bottom of the housing can be taken care of in many ways. Minor to setting up a new dana 44 with new shock mounts and everything else. So my advice keep the 8.25 its a strong axle that will hold up for what you are doing with it.

Pete
ummm hmmmm 27 spline will be strong enough and you will not need spares? You better be creative enough to be able to build some sort of a rig to keep the wheel in whne the shafts goes :D They will be not much better (actually smaller) then the D35 which break too easy :D
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts,
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, .

ok, if i were you i would run what you have till it breaks and in the mean time build what you want. take your time and money and do it right and cheaper the first time! for got to say i would build the 44 because all i wanted was an in line 4 banger, 3 inches of lift and 30" tires and now look...

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
ummm hmmmm 27 spline will be strong enough and you will not need spares? You better be creative enough to be able to build some sort of a rig to keep the wheel in whne the shafts goes :D They will be not much better (actually smaller) then the D35 which break too easy :D
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts,
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, .

I know exactly where you are coming from but you have to realize that he is going to put in a limited slip. So how many times have you seen a limited slip break an axle shaft. Not nearly as many as if you had a locker in it. Like i said before, for what he is doing 27 spline will hold up. He doesnt even have 33's on the truck. He said that the biggest that he would go is 33.

And actually the 8.25 has equal length shafts meaning that you only really need one spare. The twisting force of the shafts are going to be the same from side to side unlike the unequal lengthed dana 35 shafts. And with the housings of the dana 35 so weak which would cause the shafts to not be exactly aligned with the carrier would add a great deal of weakness to the shafts. So i would not have to agree with you that the dana 35 is stronger

Pete

Last edited:
PeterBuilt said:
I know exactly where you are coming from but you have to realize that he is going to put in a limited slip. So how many times have you seen a limited slip break an axle shaft. Not nearly as many as if you had a locker in it. Like i said before, for what he is doing 27 spline will hold up. He doesnt even have 33's on the truck. He said that the biggest that he would go is 33.

Pete
How about breaking a D35 shaft (for all intents and purposes it is size as a 8.25 27 spline) with 32's and an open rear??

PeterBuilt said:

Pete

Not to mention the fact he was planning on upgrading to the 29 spline anyways. In which case, if you need it, I have a open 29 spline carrier with no spider gears. Perfect for a lunchbox, drop me a line if you end up needing it.

91 Jeep Project said:
Get off the gas????
wasn't me... but from what I heard there wasn't much gas involved. Anyways what I'm getting at.. is you always should expect breakage, but if you're prepared for it, it's all good. Btw, if you have a cclip axle, being prepared means having a spare shaft and being prepared to take it appart when needed (whether you have 27 or 29 spline 8.25)

Kejtar said:
How about breaking a D35 shaft (for all intents and purposes it is size as a 8.25 27 spline) with 32's and an open rear??

I was just making a suggestion about how he is going to use his truck. He doesnt even have a dana 35 so why did you start to compare it to the 8.25. The 8.25 and the 35 are similar and different, yes the smaller versions have 27 spline and come in jeeps. From what i can tell about how he was explaing his truck i think that it will hold up with 27 spline. On the other hand why should i even care my 35 spline shafts hold up fine in my jeep!

Pete

PeterBuilt said:
I was just making a suggestion about how he is going to use his truck. He doesnt even have a dana 35 so why did you start to compare it to the 8.25. The 8.25 and the 35 are similar and different, yes the smaller versions have 27 spline and come in jeeps. From what i can tell about how he was explaing his truck i think that it will hold up with 27 spline. On the other hand why should i even care my 35 spline shafts hold up fine in my jeep!

Pete
I made a comparison to the D35 because nooneussually disputes the fact that they break (I've seen not too long ago a really intersting thing: a YJ with a busted D35 shaft and a wooden jig strapped to the side of the jeep to hold the tire in :D).
In regards to the 8.25 29 spline.... It is a good axle but if he's going to go through the trouble of upgrading the carrier to get bigger shafts that means he is going to setup the gears which is probably the most expensive part of the whole deal and if he can pickup a D44 for a good price I think it's a no brainer.
ANyways you're talking about him not having problems with a 27 spline shaft... well, I don't know about east coast... but a local trip here could become very interseting and very long....... There are also couple of trails where I would really not want someone on 31's or bigger tires with me unless they have spare shafts and are willing to swap them out on the trail.
In any case, I think I've beaten this topic to death.... too bad I'm sitting at work and can't have a beer.. cause now I need one :D

Kejtar said:
ANyways you're talking about him not having problems with a 27 spline shaft... well, I don't know about east coast... but a local trip here could become very interseting and very long.......

I hear where you are coming from now about the west coast thing. didnt even think of that, you boys have allot of traction for open diffs. Would like to go out there sometime and wheel with you guys slow and easy instead of a little faster and a whole lot of tire spining, like the east. Oh yea i and im just done now so i guess ill be beating you to that beer. haha

Pete

PeterBuilt said:
Oh yea i and im just done now so i guess ill be beating you to that beer. haha

Pete
Oh that is just wrong!!!! :Cheers: I got a case of guiness and some murphy's waiting for me at home though :D

91 Jeep Project said:
Sucker, I'm off to a party, woohoo. You better make good with that case of the black stuff when you get home. Turn it into a moving box..............:cheers:
You're a day late.... I did my partying yesterday :D

i got an 8.25 for a guy who wheeled it for a few years with 35's and broke nothing, it's 27 spline with a detroit and 4.56's and yukon shaft's, now i have it with my 33's and it's doin fine.

Back