• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper bolt size

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I have a stripped thread in the knuckle and I wanna put in a helicoil to fix it, but I have forgot the damn bolt at home. Does anyone know the bolt size and the thread on a 97 XJ? (I think it's same from about 93 up).

THanks
Remi

I had to Helicoil my 98 front knuckle. The Helicoil kit size is 5/16-18 and the kit number is 5521-5.
Then get the replacement caliper bolts at autozone or parts america for your XJ. They are cheep.
Word of caution: make sure you drill and tap that hole perfectly straight.
If not you will have one hell of a time getting the caliper bolt back in.
I did mine and drilled it just a hair off level, and it was a PITA getting it back in. Oh, it went back in, but I had to use all my strength to get it screwed in there.
BTW....its still holding too.
Helicoils work great.

bustednutz said:
I had to Helicoil my 98 front knuckle. The Helicoil kit size is 5/16-18 and the kit number is 5521-5.
Then get the replacement caliper bolts at autozone or parts america for your XJ. They are cheep.
Word of caution: make sure you drill and tap that hole perfectly straight.
If not you will have one hell of a time getting the caliper bolt back in.
I did mine and drilled it just a hair off level, and it was a PITA getting it back in. Oh, it went back in, but I had to use all my strength to get it screwed in there.
BTW....its still holding too.
Helicoils work great.

Cool, thanks man. Now I wonder if any parts stores will be open today when I get home :D

I just made mine 2 days ago, front brake caliper XJ 99

Helicoli part number 5546-8
Metric Coarse Thread Repair Kit - M8x1.25 x 12.0mm

Caliper Bolt Pin 12 Point M8x1.25
Lenght 2-15/16"

You need also a 21/64" drill bit not included in the kit, I got mine at Home Depot

Last edited:
fx4rover said:

Lenght 2-15/16"

You need also a 21/64" drill bit not included in the kit, I got mine at Home Depot
is 99 the year when they changed brakes ?

These are things I pocket at the junkyard. All I know is that I've pulled a set out a 94 XJ and a 93 ZJ and theve fit my 95 XJ.

Kejtar said:
I think I'll pick both of them up and see which one fits :D

That's a good idea, anyway I checked the store where I bought the bolt (advance auto parts) and they are listing the same part number for a 99 and a 97 cherokee, however to be on the safe side pick both to see which one fits better

fx4rover said:
That's a good idea, anyway I checked the store where I bought the bolt (advance auto parts) and they are listing the same part number for a 99 and a 97 cherokee, however to be on the safe side pick both to see which one fits better

damn.. those sizes look damn near identical!!

Kejtar said:
damn.. those sizes look damn near identical!!

Yep, they look almost the same, one standard the other metric, I think metric is the original and that's what I used, ..... but I used a 5/16 12 point socket to drive it in... hehehe

fx4rover said:

Lenght 2-15/16"

Do you still have that kit? Can you check the tap size? The store was out of the metric kit but they had inserts. I have the 21/64 drilll bit and I have plenty different taps too, but I don't know which one to use.

For a '98:
The caliper bolt should not have a shank length greater than 67.6mm or 2.66 inches. The head was marked 10.9, as it's a hard bolt. When I went to put new pads on, I found one of the bolts had snapped off and I was driving around with only one bolt holding the caliper on. I drilled out the part left in and used a backout to remove it. The reason it broke may be because I over tightened it last time. The specs say to tighten the bolts to only 11 ft. lbs. The bolts cost about $6 each from the dealer. I had to buy the best bits in the auto store to drill out the bolts.
Walt

Walt Stanley said:
For a '98:
The caliper bolt should not have a shank length greater than 67.6mm or 2.66 inches. The head was marked 10.9, as it's a hard bolt. When I went to put new pads on, I found one of the bolts had snapped off and I was driving around with only one bolt holding the caliper on. I drilled out the part left in and used a backout to remove it. The reason it broke may be because I over tightened it last time. The specs say to tighten the bolts to only 11 ft. lbs. The bolts cost about $6 each from the dealer. I had to buy the best bits in the auto store to drill out the bolts.
Walt
:confused:

Kejtar said:
Do you still have that kit? Can you check the tap size? The store was out of the metric kit but they had inserts. I have the 21/64 drilll bit and I have plenty different taps too, but I don't know which one to use.

I still have it, I will check it when I go back home, I will post it soon.

Hey Remi...just had this happen and had to buy a helicoil kit...Looking at it right now.

its M8X1.25
You need a21/64 or .324 drill bit.

This was on a 93 so it should be the same.

DrMoab said:
Hey Remi...just had this happen and had to buy a helicoil kit...Looking at it right now.

its M8X1.25
You need a21/64 or .324 drill bit.

This was on a 93 so it should be the same.
I got the drill bit but I don't know what tap I need to use prior to installation of the helicoil.

Back