• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone with bedlined interior

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
anyone with bedlined interior please read

hey guys,
I ordered some durabak bedliner the other day and i just started to prep my jeep yesterday. my jeep is a 1990 limited. anyway when i started pulling the carpet out there was two big things, first theres a whole bunch of wires under there that i didnt expect to find. I dont really know where they go to and what there for, but what did ya'll do with the wires when you applied the stuff, how did you hide them? secondly there was a WHOLE bunch of rust i didnt expect, the floor board was eaten through in a couple of spots, what would you guys suggest to solve this, and what kind of sandpaper should i use to stratch up the interior. Do you know of any web pages that have a step by step guide at all.
Thanks a lot guys,
Adam
Orlando, FL.

Last edited:
dunno abotu the rest, but what wires are you talking about? I had a yellow wire that went to the rear tailgate button for the rear light. I ripped it out b/c i hated the thing, was useless to me. also came across a grey wire that ran up ( i think it want to the phone that was installed when i bought it). Other than those two, i had no other wires that couldnt be hidden behind the side panels.

When I did the herculiner thing I used some galv. sheet metal (same that you would use for duct work in a house) and spot welded + pop riveted it to the floor which seemed to work well. As far as prep work I used a wire wheel and a 3M body wheel (it's a rough plastic wheel) and then a belt sander. Make sure to rough it up enough to take the shine out of the paint in order to get good adhesion. As far as the wire go I wrapped them in masking tape and used safety wire attached to the grab handles in order to hold the wires out of the way while I applied the herculiner.

any other ?'s just ask

I had done about the same thing. I also used the herculiner. I used a patch panel from the local parts store. then pop riveted it in place. I did though just cut all the rust out. Then sanded with a wire wheel. the wires are still running right done the center of the floor. But they are not in the way if you dont mind looking at them. I als o used it for the rocker panels. It looks great.

Cut all the rust out and put in a patch. We just did our YJ only we used the Rustoleum two part kit that we picked up for $20 :D First thing we did was use sanding blocks and sand the whole floor down after removing the 12 drain plugs from the floor. We then used that black plastic split tubing that the manufactures use to encase the wires going to the back for the lights, removable hard top defogger/wiper and the two speakers on the back wheel wells. After vacuming, sanding out a couple of surface rust spots we primed those rust spots and let them dry for a while, wiped the whole floor down with Prep-Sol and went at it with the rollers. Total was 3 coats, 1 in the afternoon, 1 in the evening and one the next morning. For the $20 cost the stuff is holding up really well.

well thanks for all the pointers, i went out to home depot and bought some metal channeling stuff to run my wires with. im just gonna liquid nails it in there then paint over it i guess. as for the rust im gonna just sand it down and put bondo in the holes. Any other suggestions would be great. I'm also making a rear trunk type thing out of wood that im gonna cover with the stuff. Ill post pics when im done

Back