• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting My Trim

jeeperjack

NAXJA Forum User
It is a 93 XJ country, white with gold trim. I am thinking of painting the trim black with spray paint, the less expensive alternate to rhino linning and such. Has anyone ever does this before? Should I remove the trim stuff with the horizontal lines that is stuck along the side? Any input on how to make this at least a slight sucess is greatly apriechiated. Pardon the spelling.

thanks,
Jack

I have a 93 country that is maroon with gold trim. Been wondering the same thing myself, and so far I havent found anything that says it wont work. Hecc it wont cost very much, so if it doent work just get it done right, if you have the money. Just make sure to really get it clean. Do you have a chrome bumper and are you going to paint those too?

Regardless of what you end up using, ensure, that the area to be painted is cleaned well of any dirt/grease, etc. Give the area to be painted a light sanding with a high grit# sandpaper, and then prime, maskng it off of course. Once that is done and dry, spray the colour you're going to use in thin even coats. It's better to have many thin coats than fewer thick ones.
If you remove the rubber trim, as I've done with mine, make sure all remnants of the rubber trim and glue are removed, and sanded smooth before putting on the primer.

I've thought of various ideas of tirm and paint myself, but think going something such as diamond plate is better for the protection it offers.

I recently used Herculiner to paint my lower doors after i removed the trim. It turned out well and is easy to use, after you sand and clean as mentioned above it just gets painted on with a roller or brush. If you decide to go this route let me suggest wearing gloves because even gas won't take it off you're skin. Also, I don't know if the price varies or not but here in Michigan it was only about $30 for a quart which is more than enough to put 3 coats on the lower doors and rockers. Good luck

HAPYMUDY said:
Krylon Fusion is the worst paint I ever used in my life. A calm breeze can blow that junk off. Don't waste your time with it!

I used it on my trim and flares. It worked great on the trim but even road dirt hitting the flares it starting chipping off after a month. If i ever do it again i would use somthing else.

Ok, to revisit what I am sure is an oft-chewed topic

1990XJ Silver paint (now flat grey on top due to clearcoat flaking off) Chrome trim, bumpers, windows, power mirrors, headlights, grill (AUGHHHHH it's Everywhereeeeeeee)

Plan is to fine sand the clear off the sides to dull em down, then add the other colors needed to camo it.

Anyone settled yet on a "best method" to paint all the chrome yackage on these or would I be ahead to stat pullin it off and try to find black oem stuff? The idea of chrome anything, let alone mirrors and grill, on a camo rig is a bit to much like politics to me, totally oxymoronic.

thx

My 92 XJ had the ugly silver on the bumpers, flares and bottom of the doors.
I used duplicolor bed liner in the spray cans, I took the bumpers and flares off, and masked off the bottom of the doors. It came out great and the bedliner doesn't chip. I worked in a body shop when I was young and learned how important masking is in determing how a job turns out. Its pretty easy to do and sure makes your jeep look a lot better.

MG_43 said:
My 92 XJ had the ugly silver on the bumpers, flares and bottom of the doors.
I used duplicolor bed liner in the spray cans, I took the bumpers and flares off, and masked off the bottom of the doors. It came out great and the bedliner doesn't chip. I worked in a body shop when I was young and learned how important masking is in determing how a job turns out. Its pretty easy to do and sure makes your jeep look a lot better.

Any cleaning or prep work done as well? I know it says on the bottle to ruff up the surface with sandpaper.

Back