• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Question- need help ASAP

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I'm in the garage right now, and was about to throw my harmonic balancer on and noticed a problem. Look at this pic:

Oil_Sllinger.jpg

TimingChain.jpg

You can see that there is a peice of metal in the snout of the crank to line up the harmonic balancer, whelp, I do NOT have that on my new stroker. WTF can I do? Can you order there things?

Thanks!

Todd

That's called a crank key and yes you will need one in it.
You can get one at any parts store for a quarter.

It's actually called a "Woodruff Key," and they are used commonly for keeping rotating parts aligned in cases like this. They come in different sizes - if I knew offhand what the size was, I'd tell you.

The two critical dimensions are the width of the key, and the height from the base (long flat side) to the peak (short flat side, after the curve.) The radii of the curves tend to be pretty constant.

You can measure the width of the slot on either part, and the full depth of the groove in the crank nose added to the full depth of the groove in the damper hub will tell you the height of key you need.

They are cheap, but it is important to get the correct size, lest you have trouble later...

5-90

Good to here that you're getting that thing put back together! How long do you think it'll be before it's in use in your rig?

Back