• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sealing the fuel sender gasket?

Roll-over

NAXJA Forum User
Pretty much what the title says. the sender is maybe two years old, but last week when I filled up the tank it started leaking around the sender. The ring gasket is still in new condition so what can i use to seal it?

never mind... It's the fuel return hose that's it's leaking around. it looks like the weld or sweat or whatever joint gave out I cleaned and sanded it and threw some JB Weld around it 'til i can drop the cash on a new sender.

Any ideas who has the best price on senders right now?

-r0

I had the same problem on my 93. The return tube had broken loose and was turning freely in the sender unit allowing it to leak if filled over 1/2 tank. JB weld fixed it the first time and it even held for over 2 years. I swapped in the unit from my parts Jeep when I had to change the fuel pump. It's kinda' nice to be able to fill the tank without leaving a gas lake under it from sitting overnight.

My '87 MJ is doing that. I foolishly replaced the tank before zeroing in on the source of the problem.

Did you remove the unit from the tank to apply the J-B Weld, or just glop it up with the fuel pump in place? I assume I need to use a small wire brush or steel wool or something to clean the area where the J-B Weld has to adhere?

Wow, that's a costly "might-be-this". Well I pulled the pump, cleaned the outside with acetone and a wire brush and sand paper on the unside to get the oxides off the joint area. After that I just slapped some JB (used tube, should have used the putty but oh well) on both sides of the flange and the tube brace. It's been curing for about 10 hours and I'm about to re-assemble. If anyone is interested I'll update in a few days as to whether or not it holds.

-r0

ps- as for the o-rind gasket I've decided to wet it with motor oil and install it that way as sealer will be a mess if I have to swap this in the next few days.

I forgot to add... If you try this repair remember to "clock" the pump correctly as you apply the jb weld. I forgot to and the pump sits a little cockeyed now but not tooooooo bad.

I got it clocked right but was way lazier than you ...I never pulled the pump. I just JB'd the outside and left it at that and it held for 2 years :laugh3:

MarkdaleXJ said:
I got it clocked right but was way lazier than you ...I never pulled the pump. I just JB'd the outside and left it at that and it held for 2 years :laugh3:
That's what I was hoping to hear.

MarkdaleXJ said:
"Give the hardest job to the laziest guy and he'll find the easiest way to do it" :wave:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back