• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some cooling questions as usual

staticrevolution

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so maybe you know how much trouble I have been having with my jeep maybe you do not. I just took the cooling system all back apart to test the components and replace the waterpump, thermostat, cap, and install a fan spacer. My questions are: When I run water through the radiator there is a little pressure but most of the water just runs through it fine how much restriction is acceptable?

Also how can I check the block for clogged passageways? I have run water through all of the orafices that I can find and it all seems to be flowing fine when I plug things and force water through different passageways and whatnot.

The fan spacer I bought is a simple spacer with longer bolts, how do I remove the studs that are curently on where the pully attaches?

Also I ran hose water through the top end of the engine and then let the engine warm up and it still overheated with the cold water running through it. I am thinking maybe my jeep is just running to lean. How can I test for a lean condition?

Another question: when I turned it on without the waterpump or thermostat housing on there was imediately a little steam coming out, should this be expected? I smelled it to see if it smelled like exhaust and it didn't and there was no real force behind it it just was coming out a little..

Anybody have any ideas of other things to check with everything apart?

Maybe I can have this dog ready for NWFEST?

THANKS!

You say you ran water through it...Did you or have you ever baclflushed the whole system.Backflushing will loosen up crud that has built up in the cooling system.Do mine at least once a year.
There are several products on the market,almost all antifreeze mfgs have a system back flush product...

staticrevolution said:
The fan spacer I bought is a simple spacer with longer bolts, how do I remove the studs that are curently on where the pully attaches?
I just used a pair of pliers on the stud and put one of the nuts holding the pulley on to use a wrench on that to keep it from spinning. I killed some of the threads this way, but then I didn't need them since I was going to an electric fan. I was told you can just replace the studs for a few cents at any parts store.

Awesome, thanks for the sound advice! I found an easier way for me, I just took the old fan clutch, drilled a couple holes on each side and stuck a couple cotter pins through. Its all locked up now. I would advise anyone who tries this that when its rotating the clutch will fling out all the oil crap inside it, beware.

Back