• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap info

jeepguy68

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 90 xj with a supposed 97 HO in it. I would like to know how i can verify the year of the engine and ECU. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jason

You should be able to find the engine number on the passenger side - on a machined boss near the distributor. I'd have to check to make sure, but that sounds right. Post the engine number, and we can tell you what you've got (or I can dig around, find my list of engine numbers, and post them - which I plan on doing sometime anyhow. Probably about the third Thursday of next week...)

The cylinder head number can be found on the driver's side top, right over the manifolds. It is NOT covered by the valve cover. I'd have to look that one up as well, but I remember there being four different head - 2686 (RENIX), 0331 (last version HO), 7120 (desirable for port work and strokers) and 06-something. The cylinder head can be narrowed down by year that way - but only to a range.

A nice improvement made in 1996 was the addition of the main stud girdle, which allows for a stiffer bottom end. This can be added to earlier blocks - by buying the studs and girdle from OEMR parts. The bolt sizes are the same all the way up.

5-90

Back