• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CRAPPP i messed up with brakes help please

JAGx1414

NAXJA Forum User
alright i just put my front locker in and when the brake calipers where off (i have disc brakes up front) i pushed the brakes to let off the parking brake to get the caliper on. i already got the drivers side one on but when i pushed the brakes the passenger side calliper closed up too much to be able to put it back on the disc. does any one know how to release the calipers? thanks much - (some one who needs to think before they act) john

Push the the caliper back in with a c-clamp. You probably will need to remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder or it may spill out.

Open the bleeder screw on the caliper as you press the piston back.

kunaji said:
Push the the caliper back in with a c-clamp. You probably will need to remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder or it may spill out.
Why do people think that "Fluid will spill out"?

There is X amount of fluid in a Master Cylinder.
Y amount can be in the caliper.

If X>Y, then the master will NOT overflow.

Opening bleeders just makes X<Y, and leaves your Master Cyl low.

Brakes are a SEALED system. There is only so much brake fluid in a system, and the calipers CANNOT overfill the master UNLESS you added fluid when you thoght it was low....when it was not.

Storydude said:

Brakes are a SEALED system. There is only so much brake fluid in a system, and the calipers CANNOT overfill the master UNLESS you added fluid when you thoght it was low....when it was not.

:yelclap:

yea we were smart enought to just use a c-clamp. we decided not to pley withthe flid stuff. but guess what.. that was the only problem i had while putting in my locker so im happy. YAY im locked front and rear

Storydude said:

right - BUT
when your pads and shoes get smaller, the cylenders and calipers move in more - and they stay in more (more with the case of calipers) and when this happenes and you check your brake fluid - you appear to have lost some.... you add some and get back out on the road...

when you compress the calipers ALL THE WAY like when you put new pads in, that could cause an overflow?

hmmm so my locker... the stearing is really tight harder to drive now.. this is on pavement so of corse it will be diffrent but while going strait the stearng wheel pulls left and right.. the wheeles arent even slipping.. im going to drive it around tomorrow but could this mean the locker is no good or in wrong?

XJ_ranger said:
right - BUT
when your pads and shoes get smaller, the cylenders and calipers move in more - and they stay in more (more with the case of calipers) and when this happenes and you check your brake fluid - you appear to have lost some.... you add some and get back out on the road...

when you compress the calipers ALL THE WAY like when you put new pads in, that could cause an overflow?

Shutuppa you mouth with that there logic, boy!

:laugh3:

XJ_ranger said:
right - BUT

Right. This is why wise car owners know that low brake fluid is likely to be an indication of worn brakes. It doesn't mean top it off, just leave the level alone.. when the friction is replaced the level will be correct again.

Don't know why people don't get that.

By the way xj ranger drums have zero effect on fluid level, only discs change m/c level.

JAGx1414 said:
hmmm so my locker... the stearing is really tight harder to drive now.. this is on pavement so of corse it will be diffrent but while going strait the stearng wheel pulls left and right.. the wheeles arent even slipping.. im going to drive it around tomorrow but could this mean the locker is no good or in wrong?

Don't drive it around on pavement in 4WD. Find a dirt lot to test out the locker.

Roll-over said:
Either your rear brakes or your logic need replacing REALLY soon!:laugh3:
Right the rears do have an effect, but it's so small, and grajual (sp?) that you realy don't notice it.

Back