• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 drive chain

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the new 8.5" coils & 2" blocks. So I am at about 10" of lift, and I finally need a SYE & driveshaft. I ordered a HD SYE kit from P.O.R.C and its on its way. I am either going to order a D.S from them($269 shipped) or build one from a front D.S. I have laying around. I am going to price it all out today and see how much it will cost to have new joints, re-tube/lenghtened & balanced at DLNW. I was thinking that while I was in the T.case I would replace the chain. I have found a few sources on line, does anyone know of any local(P.N.W) who could supply me with new chain for reasonable $ :?: Thanks oh yeah a few pics-
DSCF0309.jpg
DSCF0307.jpg
DSCF0300.jpg

i can ship you my spare....

Remember if you cahnge the chain you need to change the drive gears, they wear as much as the chain, and if you dont the new chain wont last!
You can pull a chain and gears from a 241 and they are a wider set!

FlxnXJ said:
Remember if you cahnge the chain you need to change the drive gears, they wear as much as the chain, and if you dont the new chain wont last!
I really don't see any wear, I wanted to replace the chain because I was told they stretch.

FlxnXJ said:

Never heard that before...... :rolleyes:

I've changed chains three times and never replaced the sprockets. It isn't the links on the chain that wear out, it's the pins that hold the links together, which have nothing to do with sprocket wear. As the pins wear the chain stretches. My last chain was replaced just because I was in there, and it had been used hard for six years but was still fine......with the original sprockets.

Goatman said:
Never heard that before...... :rolleyes:

I've changed chains three times and never replaced the sprockets. It isn't the links on the chain that wear out, it's the pins that hold the links together, which have nothing to do with sprocket wear. As the pins wear the chain stretches. My last chain was replaced just because I was in there, and it had been used hard for six years but was still fine......with the original sprockets.
Thanks, for setting that straight. I am installing a H.D SYE KIT and I figured I would replace any thing that was wore out, seals bearings ect.. So far it all looks good. So I am gonna just install a new chain. Thanks Goatman. Joe

The most important thing to change while you're in there are the plastic pads on the two shift forks, and maybe the front seal. Be sure to put some silicon on the splines of the front yoke. You're getting a new rear output bearing with the SYE, so changing the front output bearing, input bearing, and chain, along with the other couple of things, would make a total rebuild of the t-case. I've never found a need to replace the small rear front output shaft bearing, since it sits completely in the oil. I'm still running the original one, plus it's a real PITA to get out.

Goatman said:
The most important thing to change while you're in there are the plastic pads on the two shift forks, and maybe the front seal. Be sure to put some silicon on the splines of the front yoke. You're getting a new rear output bearing with the SYE, so changing the front output bearing, input bearing, and chain, along with the other couple of things, would make a total rebuild of the t-case. I've never found a need to replace the small rear front output shaft bearing, since it sits completely in the oil. I'm still running the original one, plus it's a real PITA to get out.
thanks, I'll make the call tommorow to order the rest of the parts. Joe

Goatman said:
Ok, picked up all the parts at valley gear and transmission in Seattle,Wa. Did they supersede the front output seal w/ a new style? The one I pulled from the case is rubber & metal, the part they gave me is just rubber. It looks like it will fit, but it's different. Worst case I am going to call in the morning, just curious if you have came across this.The one on the left (i mangled it taking it out)is like allthe seals I have ever seen, It has the rubber in the center and metal on the outside. The one on the right is all rubber -
DSCF0310.jpg

Back