• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 serpentine belt help

webbhead

NAXJA Forum User
First off hello Newbie with a ?
I have a 00 xj 4.0 and can't figure out how to get the stinkin belt off
any help is greatly appreciated
haynes and chiltons NO help!!
thanx in advance
Bill

Last edited:
thanks Red
the diagram under the hood shows undoing the tension pulley
but I see no way to do this
I work at the wj plant and we have the auto tension pulley on the grand cherokees
so this is a new monster for me
I am going to take another look
thanks again
if anyone else has an opinion fire away
I am stuck!
THANX
Bill

First you have to loosen the thru bolt,onthe small pulley below the p/s pump.Then unscrew the 15mm bolt thats between the p/s pump and cyl head,this one is the tension adjustment.

Yep!!
Exactly
After I got my head outta my ass and really looked at it
thats what I did.
Thanx fellas shes back up and runnin
is there a certain way to check tension
with no real way to get at the belt???
Again THANKS
Bill

Step one, remove your watch :D
Step two, unplug the electric fan
Step three, remove the two bolts holding the electric fan in and lift it out.
Step four, right below the power steering pump is an idler pulley, 15MM bolt, loosen it about 4 turns
Step five, on the power steering pump bracket is a single bolt pointing at the thermostat housing. Unplug the temperature sensor and move it out the way.
Step six, put a ratchet on that single bolt and start turning it and the idler pulley will start to move. As it moves it will loosen.
Step seven, remove belt and if the drawing on the fan shroud is not there showing you the routing make a drawing BEFORE you remove it.
Step eight a, install new idler pulley you got BEFORE you started. Anti-seize on that idler pulley bolt too.
Step eight b, install new belt
Step nine, start to tighten the serpentine belt with that adjuster bolt. A new belt need to be adjusted to 190lbs, use your Krikit II belt tension gauge you got at NAPA before you started :D
Step ten, reinstall electric fan and plug it back in. Put your watch back on.
Done. :laugh3: :laugh3: :wave:

Back