• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cough fixed......mean greens are awesome....

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I changed the plugs on my Jeep and the cough was still there. I was kinda just ignoring it, but then it got drastically worse over the course of three days, to the point where the Jeep would almost not start. After doing an all-night wrench fest on my friend's XJ to get him ready for Camp Jeep I was annoyed and tired so I went to the dealer and asked them what was wrong. They said it was my starter. Well, they wanted 250(plus labor for install so 388 total, remember I was fed up and tired) for a new starter, no one else in town had one in stock, and mean greens are 250 as well. I was due to leave town in 3 hours at that point for North Carolina to gather some parts and drop off a set of rock rails. I called up my buddy Andy at the carolina rock shop and it just so happened that he had an unused mean green sitting on his project rig. He said if I could make it down I could have it(just order him a new one). Well, long story slightly shorter, got the mean green installed and I'm very impressed. Starts so much faster than the stock starter ever did, and the cough is gone. Sorry I got so long winded. Peace

Ary

so its worth it? ive been comptemplating getting a MG for almosta year now. Some say it doesnt change the starting time....others say it does....your story has made me one step closer to getting one. Thanks.

It's definately worth it in my opinion(dunno if I'd buy one just for the heck of it, but if you have to replace the starter anyway, then heck yeah). The starter doesn't sound like it's straining to start the motor, which the stock one always did, just never noticed 'cause I didn't have anythign to compare it to. I'll definately be springin for mean greens on the rest of the trucks if they ever go(Yukon and FJ-80). HTH, Peace

Ary

I second the Mean Green Starter. I had nothing but problems with the stock one seemed to be replacing once every year and a half. It does start faster, a lot better when it's cold like this last winter. I do have HD Battery Cables from Jeepers and Creepers an a Optima Red Top Battery. This also helps. Juice

juicexj24 said:
I second the Mean Green Starter. I had nothing but problems with the stock one seemed to be replacing once every year and a half. It does start faster, a lot better when it's cold like this last winter. I do have HD Battery Cables from Jeepers and Creepers an a Optima Red Top Battery. This also helps. Juice

Guess I shoulda mentioned that too, I have the same cables and battery setup.

Back