• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my Jeep safe to drive?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with 76k miles and an 8.25 rear end. I was going slowly over a speed bump today with someone walking along side of me. After I parked the person came up to me and told me they think my rear wheel was loose.

I shook it and there was a fair amount of in/out play, on both sides. All of the lugnuts were tight, but I went ahead and removed the wheel for a closer look.

I pulled the drum off and shook things around a little. The axel can be moved in and out a fair amount. This occurs on both sides. There is of course a small amount of rotational play, but I assume that is normal. It's the in/out play that has me worried.

Is this normal or is something about to break?

You are about to loose your axle, sounds like the c clip let go. They hold the axles in the carrier where the gears reside. Ever seen a CJ or YJ on the road with a rear wheel sticking out 3 ft ? Thats where you are headed. You need to get the cover off the rear diff and have a really good look see and if you dont know what to look for get someone who does. Unsafe to drive.

RichP said:
You are about to loose your axle, sounds like the c clip let go. They hold the axles in the carrier where the gears reside. Ever seen a CJ or YJ on the road with a rear wheel sticking out 3 ft ? Thats where you are headed. You need to get the cover off the rear diff and have a really good look see and if you dont know what to look for get someone who does. Unsafe to drive.

What causes a c-clip failure?

90Pioneer said:
What causes a c-clip failure?

Simple breakage either from long term fatigue or from wheeling with big tires. When the c-clip breaks, there's nothing to hold the axleshafts in place and you could lose your wheels. Don't drive your Jeep until it's fixed. Have it flatbed towed to a garage.

I assume it's been like this for a couple days now, if not longer. I've been driving the shit out of it the past two weeks.

The axel will move in/out about 1/4 of an inch. Maybe this is what is causing my higher speed wobble.......

If the c-clip has dropped off, with the wheel off the ground you should be able to pull the axle out more than 1/4". When you try to pull it out, does it stop at the 1/4" with an abrupt resistance, or did you just stop pulling at that point?

If you can feel it hit resistance, the c-clip is probably still there, but 1/4" sounds like excessive lateral play and I would still have it checked at a dealership or a private shop specializing in axle and differential work.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the wheel is not bent. You can move the entire thing back and fourth and then it makes a banging noise when you do it.

Actually it's a sign from the jeep gods, take it to a good driveline shop and have them check it out, while they are checking it out have them put an Auburn pro LSD in there. Should be about $400 installed and that install usually gets you new bearings, seals and a really nice and well behaved traction device....
In all seriousness, get it checked out, and as for the auburn it made a dramatic improvement in my driving in both wet weather, snow and off road. It has been about 3 vehicles since I had a LSD or locker and I forgot just how nice they are. As for any future new vehicles that will be the FIRST mod that ever gets done..

I haven't pulled the rear diff cover plate off yet, but I did pull the hubs off again today. I noticed my brakes are soaked in gear oil...

No shops around here are open again until Tuesday. Damn holiday weekends, but I've stopped driving it for the most part, and will rent a car tomorrow.

You caught my attention with the LSD. Anyone else think this could be a good route to go?

And should I skip my usual mechanic on this one, and find a specialty shop?

90Pioneer said:
I haven't pulled the rear diff cover plate off yet, but I did pull the hubs off again today. I noticed my brakes are soaked in gear oil...

No shops around here are open again until Tuesday. Damn holiday weekends, but I've stopped driving it for the most part, and will rent a car tomorrow.

You caught my attention with the LSD. Anyone else think this could be a good route to go?

And should I skip my usual mechanic on this one, and find a specialty shop?
Sounds like the clips are badly worn down and your axle seals leaked.
Setting gears is not for everyone, that advantage of the auburn is the pinion gear is not removed and the auburn is a carrier all by itself. It's almost a drop in cept for some grinding on the case, upper right corner need a piece ground out about the size of your pinkies end digit.
basically remove old carrier, remove ring gear from old carrier, put ring gear on auburn, grind case corner as needed, put new auburn in [took me three trial fits], set backlash, install new bearings and seals, reassemble, lube it and away you go..
One note, the axles will be removed as well as the bearings, just about every ounce of lube in there will come out so when you refill it after reassembly drive it about 5 miles and then check the level again, you'll be adding a couple of pints to compensate for the lube working it's way back out into the axle tubes.

fatburgersuprise said:
The 8.25 has no c clips in it. Maybe if it was a d35. But not the 8.25. Check the same things but it is probably youre axle bearing since that is how it is held in.

Umm, no. All 8.25s are c-clip...

90Pioneer said:
Absolutely yes. I have limited slips in all of my "fleet" (at least all the ones that are registered and running).

Back